Bath sealant

Can anyone help, please.

I have just resealed my bath as the old sealant looked horrible and was very thick. I thought I had done a pretty good job with a much smaller and neater line of sealant.

Now I find that after using the shower, a line of water lies on the sealant because the inner edge of the bath next to the wall curves down so that my small line of sealant is lower than the side of the bath. ( I had foolishly assumed that the edge of a bath next to the wall would be horizontal in order to avoid this but I suppose this means having baths left or right-handed.

My question is; can you put more sealant on top of existing sealant to build it up, and is there any easy way of smoothing it out to make sure that you don't get any part lower than the side of the bath to avoid pools of water.

Lawrie

Reply to
Lawrie

Now you know why the old one looked so bad. Your best bet is to find a nicely shaped bit of beading that will run the length you need and bed it in sealant. Otherwise build up some grout into a large enough bead and make a suitble profile for scraping it to an accepable finish. A piece of pipe perhaps, or a steel ball on a stick.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

You can overlay sealant as long as it is silicone and not acrylic (smells like vinegar when curing) and has only been done in the last few days. Make sure it's dry and clear of any soap etc.

However, to be honest, it would be a better job to start again.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Another option is to add some quarter-round tiles along the edge.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

Reply to
PoP

I had a problem with a large gap between my bath and wall and I found in Homebase a piece of plastic (?) trim which was big enough to bridge the gap between wall and bath and I fixed it with silicon at an angle . I cut it with a compound mitre saw because of the join at the two sides of the bact and also because it was lying at an angle . That solution worked very well. I think the trim is made bt Trent ( ? _ an dis probably made for finishing above a row of tiles . This might offer you a neater solution Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart