Bath Sealant

Is there a bath sealant system that exists that actually lasts more than about a year? I have tried stick on strips (very poor), corner tile type strips with sealant (better) and good old thick branded sanitary sealant (from tubes) to seal the small (c. 2mm) gap between my plastic bath and the wall tiles. But inevitably after about a year a small leak will develop. Has anyone a recommendation of something that lasts a lot longer?

By the way we do use a shower in the bath which will find any potential leak! I have checked and there is hardly any movement in the bath due to floor flexing. Ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

Si

To email: change news to views

Reply to
Mitch

2mm isn't enough with bath flexure.

Thats why I always put slicone down first in a FAT bead, and tile UP to the bath.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd hope your floor isn't flexing! What about the bath itself? Plastic ones, unless *very* expensive, tend to flap around like a sheet in the breeze. In particular they can sag significantly when full (or water + person). A small amount of movement will strain a 2mm sealant bead.

Silicone doesn't always bond well, especially if there's any hint of damp on the surfaces (which is almost inevitable with repair jobs). Nowadays I use Stixall from Toolstation (which I think is a knock-off of Sticks Like Sh*t from Evo, though I haven't tried the latter). This does stick in the wet, and can be smoothed down with a finger wetted in dilute washing-up liquid, as for silicone.

Reply to
John Stumbles

UP ???

Reply to
nobodyhome

If its not too late you can get sealing strips that fit behind the tiles that should last a lot longer.

Reply to
dennis

Use Evostick Nail and Seal. It's a modified silicone co-polymer that has better adhesion and superior mechanical properties to silicone. It's easy to clean and resists abarasives and can be sanded if necessary (*not* recommended when used on a bath).

can get it from B&Q but not all stores stock it.

cleans off easily with white spirit and makes a good sealant despite the promotion being mostly as a glue.

The only negative with it is that it's available in one colour only, white.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Teleseal?

Reply to
DIY

Mitch brought next idea :

The stick on strips do work very well. Its a matter of making sure the area is scrupulously clean and apply pressure all the way along them to get them to stick firmly - a roller does this best. The only problem I have had is with slight shrinkage back away from a cut corner.

With a plastic bath, I would suggest filling it up with water before starting, so as to make it deform to its maximum.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Attach the bath permanently to the wall using something like solvent based gripfill. Keep the bath full of water as it cures so it fixes in the "full" position.

Reply to
Keith2.0

I find that 12mm plastic quadrant (buy it from plastic facia board suppliers) is cheap and very effective. Just bed it down on good quality silicon.

Reply to
ngbris