Stitching round the edge of bits of carpets to make mats

I've laid some new carpet and I want to get some offcuts of carpet stitched/bound round the edges to make them into mats that won't fray.

I can't seem to find anyone that does it locally.

Anyone know of any companies that do it by post?

I'm in Leeds

Reply to
Murmansk

In message , Murmansk writes

John Lewis does ours but they are just down the road:-)

You will find that your mats *walk* depending on the pile direction in the underlying carpet.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It might well help to know that the process is called "whipping"

This is the source of some amusement in our house as when we had our hall carpeted we asked an offcut to be made into mats like this, which was duly done... flip the mat over, and written on the underside in black marker pen is the phrase (substitute my surname for 'lobster' obviously:

MRS LOBSTER TO BE WHIPPED

Reply to
Lobster

Knowing that that is what the process is called may well help in my internet search - but then again it may produce a lot of results that aren't related to carpet edges!!!!!

Reply to
Murmansk

Well my search has turned up at least one good lead:

Murmansk

Anywhere that sells carpet & rugs will do it, at least with their own offcuts.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That's certainly true! It's amazing how much they move, I've tried marching on the mat and it moves nearly half a centimetre per step!

My next challenge is to work out how to stop this happening. I've tried dots of Copydex glue all over the back and that does nothing. I suspect I'd need to glue it to the carpet beneath or screw it to the floor!

Reply to
Murmansk

I did find an excellent under-mat layer - works on a mat which had a troublesome history going back years and many other things had been tried. It was one of the non-woven things with a very sticky surface. More expensive than I would have liked.

Reply to
polygonum

In theory, double-sided tape. And I think for small bits of carpet this works, but our rug that we taped the hell out of the underside of and put a heavy coffee table on, walked anyway.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Looks a lot like this:

However, cannot be sure it is identical. We got ours from a local carpet warehouse (not a chain).

Reply to
polygonum