speaking of carpets...

..my stair carpet has disintegrated in 10 years, which is probably my fault for actually selecting a not especially hard wearing one, and having cats and dogs and it being the stair case that is in constant use.

I thought a thread exploring experiences with various carpet types might be worth starting and the results going into the wiki..

So what carpets do you have, why did y6ou pick them and how much did they delight or disappoint you?

Stick to carpets, not discussions of laminate, tiles or natural stone :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We have had first class service from Wilton carpet - I think it was called Super Charter. Fitted in 1984 it is still down and no bare patches whatsoever. Survived two adults plus one child born 1987 and still living at home as a 25 year old. No animals though!

We bought it from the Wilton factory shop where as I understand it they have 5m wide looms and cut the rolls down to 4m which is the normal width sold We did most of the house with these strips, professionally jointed and laid. Some has just been replaced where the joins gave up first but on the stairs there are no joins of course and it is still going strong. At the time, the offcut strips were sold at around half price of the full width.

I see they have a range called Charter supreme which is £30/sqm full width as a guide.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

ah. wilton.

yess..they have reputation. that helps hellofalot!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We went to carpet right and had some heavy duty carpet fitted for our stairs and landing, after explaining that the stairs would take the heaviest traffic in the house.

That was 13 years ago and is still in pretty good condition now.

Reply to
Bob H

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

My stair carpet was fitted about 25 years ago and is in the common part of a house converted to 4 flats. The original dark-grey has faded a bit, where once it had a blue tint in bright light it now looks greenish. This year we might get around to redecoration and replacement, but it has held up well. Only on the ground floor hallway, which has most traffic, has it started to look beaten down and thin. It was a good contract grade, supplied and fitted by John Lewis.

Reply to
djc

Our stair carpet - from John Lewis, - was fitted in 1978. It's still fine. Can't tell you about it - it was organised by management.

Reply to
charles

Maybe a link to the carpet cleaning bit? That has some detail on construction & materials.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman