Sterling prices.

If the direct quote is of a lie, no, I don't. That's opinion, not fact.

Fact is the pound fell. Opinion as to why, is another level entirely.

People are in jail for fixing FX rates. Its a fact.

Appeals to authority are for stupid people who cant think for themselves or count beyond ten without taking off their socks..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thats not a lie, thats a fact.

Not much is actually happening, certainly not compared with what happened when the stock market fell from over 7000 to under 4000 as a result of US and other countries' stupid attitudes to debt.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It went to $1.05 at its worst. I remember as I was in the U Sat the time and the Yanks were commenting on it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'd like to know why trade agreements take so long and what's involved.

I know what govenerment organisation is about it took over two years for me to get a key cut until I gave up and brought a new padlock.

4+ years to get a door stop (still ongoing). It's been 2 months or since I asked for the PAT test results, nothing yet.

It doesn;t suprise me it'll take 2-10 years, when it takes 4 years to decide what chocolate is.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Because it is what you are employed for. Generals know that politicians make stupid decisions but still carry out their orders, look at Iraq and Libya.

Reply to
Capitol

So much for memory then.

I would have sworn in a Court of Law under oath that I bought my yellow Landxscape GCS350N chainsaw in my local B&Q. I can even remember bringing it home. However when I looked it up on the Internet to source a new chain the only such saws were sold by Argos. Not believing what I saw I searched out the manual. With Argos clearly printed on the back.

The tables on this site show the lowest sterling has ever gone against the US dollar in the period 1960 - 1990 was ?1.30 in 1985. As I won't use this as an opportunity to score a cheap political point I won't comment any further.

or in graph form

michael adams

michael adams

No, they'll all claim benefits!

The recession coming is the result of Osborne's policies over the last 6 years, which are largely similar to Darling's.

Brexit is our best chance of balancing our budget in the near term. The extra EU taxation coming in July will add at least 3B pounds to the budget requirements. As Osborne has already missed this years tax take figures any forecast he makes has no credibility.

Reply to
Capitol

snip

Different charts seem to provide different numbers - this one shows a rate of $1.0438 to the pound, in the 1980s.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Indeed. Having looked The Bank of England site gives a similar figure

Howver the original point being made was that this happened in the 1970's, the implication being that it was under a Labour Government.

when it fact it happened in 1985 - during the sixth year of the Magnificent Reign of Our Late Supreme Leader - the Fount of all Earthly Wisdom and She Who Must Be Obeyed.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to mention any of this as I find the whole thing a bit upsetting myself, as can be imagined. But thank you for your post, nevertheless.

michael adams

michael adams

That's the average for the year, most likely.

Too bad it doesn't support the cheap point you were trying to make by implication.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Or much in the way of goods to export. Close the factories who are here because we have tarrif free access to the EU - like Jaguar and Nissan - and we'll have even less to export. But everything we import - including so much of our food - will go up when the pound drops.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ever wondered why agreements between a union and employer can take so long?

Because both sides want to win. And to be seen to have won.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I refer you to October 1992 when we dropped out of the ERM and the UK economy started recovering immediately, and by the time Bliar blagged his way in, the economy was doing just fine. Gobshite was handed a dream ticket on a plate.

And millions of savers who have paid the real absolute cost of Brown and Bliars recession can't wait for interest rates to go up. Thwarted FTBs can't wait to see house prices correct massively Existing house owners who have not factored in the eventuality of 'normal' interest rates (Inflation PLUS 1%) only have themselves to blame. Falling house prices will benefit those who took out 25% help to buy because that 25% loan goes UP and DOWN according to house prices. It isn't fixed at the point the loan was taken out.

Tough. People who can afford to go abroad, will also do so, regardless of cost.

So, now it is Lies, Damned Lies and 'Factual Stuff' ?.

Reply to
Andrew

I'm sure those patient Germans who sell more cars, lorries, TBMs, cranes, kitchens, CAT scanners, washing machines and industrial automation (heathrow T5 baggage system, Tunnocks Tea cakes cake wrapping system) will wait for 7 years before they can access the UK market.

I'm sure those cossetted French farmers with their big green John Deere tractors and Claas combines costing upwards of 150,000 euros will desist from burning tyres on the motorways for 7 years.

Reply to
Andrew

A wander round some of the ex-council houses today shows a smattering of Vote Leave posters in the windows. These are the people who could turn out in far greater numbers than they bothered during a General Election.

Reply to
Andrew

The Kinnock family are a case in point. A more odious family of utterly hyocritical troughers is difficult to imagine. Puts The Hamiltons into the shade.

Reply to
Andrew

So the lowest Sterling ever got against the dollar, wasn't during the Reign of The Late Supreme Leader, in 1985 ?

The person whose framed and signed photograph you probably have somewhere to hand.

As I'd assume you're a bit too middle class for a tattoo.

michael adams

michael adams

That's not what happened when we crashed out of the ERM. That was a relief all round and a massive filip to the economy.

Reply to
Andrew

Was has spooked the markets is what is happening to the US economy. And the usual suspect, High Frequency Trading, Hedge Funds using borrowed stock to short sell, so they can make a quick profit is what is happening. These people HATE calm, boring, no-news periods.

Reply to
Andrew

That chip on your shoulder does you proud.

Ginger, and Welsh and a windbag to boot, the old man anyway and yet they still manage to get themselves elected into all sorts of positions.

At a guess you're neither a Ginger, nor Welsh, and yet you're still unelectable. And so your windbaggery is confined to haranguing a dozen or so total strangers on Usenet with no chance of a pension at all.

It's maybe no wonder you're so bitter.

michael adams

michael adams