"Stanley" Knife

and it will have a cork screw, a nail file, a tooth pick, an apple corer, etc. but you just can't get the feathers to make quill pens.

Reply to
charles

Maybe its just me but I've never really got on with penknives. As I've always found that if your nails aren't exactly the right length, it can be a bugger opening the blades. If you've just cut them then you've no chance at all, and if they're that bit too long you'll be worried about breaking bits off. I have a small 2 blade victorinox which is left open all the time which is used as a fruitknife but opening the small blade without smothering the whole thing in oil or WD40 requires the use of the pliers.

michael adams

michael adams

I couldn't function without my Swiss Army knife. Sooooo useful!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

+1. I have about six of them! One in the office at home, one in the workshop, one in the office at work, one in the car, and two on different key rings (different colours as otherwise I used to pick up the wrong set of keys). I'd love a SwissCard and keep hinting to SWMBO...

My sons each got a nice SAK for their 18th birthdays.

Reply to
Bob Eager
[Swiss Army knife.]

You just have to remember you have it if you ever need to pass though airport security.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Have you thought of investing in a whetstone?

Reply to
Frank

Well worth having. Fits in the wallet and has most of the useful stuff mine's an Innox).

Reply to
PeterC

Likewise. I've had one in my pocket for about 60 years now. I can't imagine not having one.

Reply to
Bob Henson

Many thanks, just arrived. Awesome.

(It would be good if the blade holder sprung out when you pressed the button. I could take it to the pub with me ;-)

Cheers - appreciated

Reply to
Stanley

And they are now telling the youngsters not to carry knives!

Reply to
alan_m

When I was a kid most youngsters had a penknife - pencil sharpening, whittling twigs, cleaning nails, getting boy-scouts out of horses hooves, etc. Lock-blades and flick-knives were legal (and most artisans needed one for one-handed use), you could carry a sheath knife on your belt (most Boy Scouts did) and I can't recall ever hearing of a stabbing

- not anywhere I had ever been anyway. It was nothing to do with the knives, it was the general standards of behaviour. Eventually round about the Teddy Boy era they made flick knives illegal, and now you aren't allowed to take Affro combs on aircraft unless someone grooms the pilot to death. Certainly, I can think of few youngsters sufficiently responsible to be allowed to carry a long bladed knife around these days. O tempora, O mores.

Reply to
Bob Henson

^^^^^^^^ Crikey: record! J.

Reply to
Another John

My SAK has a locking blade over 3" in length, so it's doubly illegal for me to carry it around in the UK without good reason.

Reply to
Mike Barnes