curved blade carving knife

I am looking for a carving knife with a curved blade. I was suprised upon looking at over 20 of the usual sources to find that all of the blades were straight edged. I need a blade about 1" long x 1/2" wide curved on the SHARP side (e.g. not the usual straight blade with a curved spine). I do not want to make my own-does anyone know a dealer who sells such a knife?

Thanks Fritz

Reply to
Fritz

How about one of these?

?c=2&p=31086&cat=1,130,43332,44073

Reply to
scouter3

Hoof knife?

Reply to
George

Maybe a picture will help-if you scroll to about the middle of this page you will see a knife with the blade that I seek. By provenence a rule lies next to it so you can get an idea of the dimensions. Pretty simple knife but you would be supirsed that there are few out there. Scouter3 found some sites for me with similar blades but they tended to be a lot narrower. The one shown rests nicely on the thumb when fitting violin bridge feet which is a very delicate and precise operation. Thanks Fritz

Fritz

looks homemade. at the least, I'd think you could grind that blade shape from a knife you could buy. something like this:

might be a good place to start.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

I believe both Xacto an Warren make these blades. Google Warren and Xacto carving knife blades and I think you'll find them.

One source:

luck Bill

Reply to
Bill

Fritz,

You might want to go back to the Lee Valley web site and just do a search of their site for the word knife.

There are quite a few more carving and whittling knives there and you just may find what you're looking for. Plus Lee Valley is a good reputable company that, in my experience, has always been a pleasure to deal with.

I originaly only gave you links to two of the knives there that seemed to fit your original spec's.

Now that I have a better notion of what you are after, I think that you might want to look at the some of the other carving knives like the Veritas or Beebe knives that they have there.

Another poster suggested trying to make your own knife and that is probably not a bad idea. In the past I've made some decent whittling/carving knives using hack saw blades. Not the best blades, but perfectly functional and fit my hands like they were made for them...which they were.

Lloyd Baker

scouter3

Reply to
hereNthere

Another thought, you could try Flexcut. I'm pretty sure I've seen curved bladed knives that they make. I've got a few of their chisels and I like them.

Dee

Reply to
hereNthere

OK and thanks for all the tips. I think I have enough to go on here. Exacto can get me thru the weekend while I seek a finer tool. Beebe indeed makes something pretty close--

Cheers Fritz

Reply to
Fritz