Short power cable

Have just bought a new Russell-Hobbs electric kettle, to replace their old 'Forgettle' of several decades vintage. The new one has a power lead about 16 inches long, and only one of the sockets in the kitchen is within this distance from the counter-top, and it's not the one I want to use. So I will have to add some sort of extension to get the socket close enough to the kettle for it to be useable. Is this Russell-Hobbs being cheap, or is it some self-defeating health and Safety thing?

Reply to
Davey

It was introduced to reduce the probability that children might pull the cord and bring a kettle full of boiling water down upon themselves

You can buy longer leads:

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Not much use for a kettle though as it is missing the grove in the connector that makes it into a kettle lead.

Reply to
dennis

'Image for illustration purposes only' usually means they have used a stock image because they don't have one of the actual product.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Don't real kettle leads (for kettles) have a groove on the flat side?

And anyway, how do you know the OP hasn't got a new-fanged "cordless" (sic) cord?

Reply to
Graham.

The item is under computer hardware, and I don't see any other domestic appliance accessories on the Scan site.

IEC leads are often called kettle leads in the IT industry it's incorrect, but people generally know what you mean.

Reply to
Graham.

I only chose that one because it was the most ridiculous long one I could find.

On a web site selling to consumers, it is not only incorrect; it is illegal under the Trade Descriptions Act 1968.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Anyway, isn't the point of the groove to stop you using the PC-style ones, which are not heat resistant?

Reply to
Bob Eager

That one is probably a "kettle lead" rather than an actual kettle lead - people use the name to refer to C13/C14 connectors without the slot in.

You need a supplier of something other than computers.

Reply to
Clive George

Is it a cordless kettle? If so, are you sure that there's not some more cable wound up inside the base?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yep, the grooved females are "hot condition".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Used in Kettles, and some HP switches (3500 IIRC)

How we laughed late one night refitting a load of kit in a rack when we realised this... grrrr

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

yes, hot condition C15 plug, I believe

Reply to
Andy Burns

Of course the *real* Russell Hobbs kettles has a big round connector that got bodily ejected when the overheat thermostat tripped.

Reply to
Graham.

New-fangled? I've not seen a kettle with an old-fasioned plug-in lead since I was a wee nipper. Do they even make them any more?

A quick Argos search suggests not:

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

Not seen any surviving examples for a long time, most jugs kettles nowadays seem to make do with a glorified Belling Lee *aerial* connector

Reply to
Andy Burns

If it's a cordless kettle have a look under the base, you might find it coiled round a couple of times, you'll end up with an extra couple of feet.

Reply to
Paul Herber

How many meanings can we get out of that?

Reply to
Davey

I did look when I unpacked it, and there is no mention in the 'manual', but I will make a more detailed inspection, screwdriver in hand. Thanks.

Reply to
Davey

Can you still get "round" kettle plugs as were used some 30 years ago? I don't want one - just curious!

Then there were the old "iron" (10A?) flat connectors with 2 pins and a side spring arrangement for earthing... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine