Scart leads

Like SATA 1 - small plug, poor engagement and stiff cable; also SATA power lead can split the plug.

Those who 'design' these things are obviously too lazy/ignorant/stupid to make them reliable and useable.

Reply to
PeterC

Can't recall that I've had any problems with the SATA/SAS connectors, and I've probably used 1000 or so in the last couple of years. Even the 20-30 dirt cheap ones I bought at computer fairs have worked fine, and I've never seen a SATA power connector split. (Actually, I have tried and failed to split some, in an effort to make a connection to the remote LED pin, which consumer grade ones never seem to have.) Where on earth do you get yours from?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I wouldn't be so hasty to blame the designers of the connector. I'd look hard at the makers choosing inappropriate materials or skimping where ever they can.

Look at the difference between neutrik XLR connectors and the cheap XLRs that come out of the Far East. Same connector but completely different in reliability and robustness.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

With MoBo, generally. One side of the SATA power plug is very thin plastic; I had a fault with a drive and found that the plug had split but still looked OK. The discs are across the case, so there is limited space for the leads and stiff leads put a lot of strain on connectors. As it's possible to get flexible cables, I can't see why stiff ones are supplied as standard.

Reply to
PeterC

Nowadays "design" just means making them a pretty colour.

Reply to
Mark

It means making them as cheaply as possible - and as small as possible, because consumers absolutely love things that are as compact as they can possibly be, even if it compromises structural strength.

Reply to
Jules

The designer should specify the materials and even the method of manufacture

Reply to
John

These people have just what you need...

5m scart lead designed to go through a wall. :-)

Reply to
mick

lazy/ignorant/stupid

skimping

Operative word "should".

The designer should... The manufacturer should...

Doesn't mean either will, especially when talking about mass produced consumer items were the most important thing is making as a cheap a possible that still just about does what it's supposed to do.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wonder how many tvs and dvds have been saved by the loose fitting scart. When her indoors decides that the hoover must get down amongst the cables there's no knowing what will be dragged out and in what order

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Hmmm...that's tempting....

I wonder if it's RGB - 13 pin so I imagine so. Hmmmmmm

cheers!

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

13 pin?.

But if anyone sells a SCART lead which isn't RGB without saying so, they should be in trouble with trading standards.

If you want good priced decent flat SCART leads have a look at CPC. They're only a few pounds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think they're looking at this:

Pete Verdon

Dave - I've got flat ones and all sorts of flavours. Problem I have is I need to thread it through a wall and would rather not make a scart plug sized hole in the wall...is this is any good then it would need a much smaller hole...

Need RGB and the signalling pin connected though.

Tempted to try one :)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Here's the connections for a standard SCART :-

SCART RGB (input)

1 - Audio out R 2 - Audio in R 3 - Audio out L 4 - Audio Ground 5 - Blue Ground 6 - Audio in L 7 - Blue (0.7Vpp/75ohm) 8 - Comp. Status - in 0-2V : INT 4.5-7V : EXT 16:9 9.5-12V : EXT 4:3 9 - Green Ground 10 - NC 11 - Green (0.7Vpp/75ohm) 12 - Nc 13 - Red Ground 14 - RGB Status 15 - Red (0.7Vpp/75ohm) 16 - RGB Status (0-0.4V:INT 1-3V:EXT/75ohm) 17 - Comp Ground 18 - Comp Ground 19 - Sync/Comp In (1Vpp/75ohm) 20 - Comp Out (1Vpp/75ohm) 21 - Screen

If you remove the audio and composite out that only saves 3 cables. Add in the two usually NC makes 5. Which leaves 16. I'd guess they're making some compromises with the grounds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

an early form of digital communication.

RobertL

I emailed them to ask (after finding someone who bought one from ebay that looks *identical* but is composite only) and got the following:

"The carry RGB, not sure about pin 8, they get round the pin limitation by connecting all the grounds together."

So, yes it's RGB, yes they compromise with the grounds but still unknown on the switching :-/. (Top marks on their response time though - very quick).

I think I'm heading back to a couple of plugs and me sitting swearing in the built in wardrobe burning my fingers with a soldering iron for a while :-(

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Why don't you thread it the other way so the plug you need to refit is outside the wardrobe?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Best way is with a small vice to hold the plug and a pair of 'helping hands' for the cable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)