Scart leads

I don't know any that aren't. They wear out quickly so don't do it as a replacement for a switch.

Reply to
dennis

Depends on definition. I've never found anything that broke due to changing a lead on the fly, but OTOH I thought they lacked any kind of facility to tell the connected devices that a cable had been removed, so they're not hot pluggable in that sense.

ISTR certain wiring and devices could detect presence or absence of signal, but I think they're doing exactly that, rather than there being any kind of intelligence at work.

They're just about the worse connectors I've ever found. Why they chose to use a connector for SCART that looks like it came from a kid's Duplo set, I don't know. Wobbly edge-connectors in Sinclair Spectrums were better, even.

The only good thing is that at least the UK *had* something of an AV component RGB standard, unlike here in the US where everyone just put up with RF or composite fuzz-o-vision ;-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

That's because the bloody things are French. Only the Frogs could design something that absolutely awful and have it accepted as a standard item.

Roll on the referendum!

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Can't think of anything that would be damaged by doing so. You can get (or could) mechanical SCART switches which essentially do just that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's thier way of getting back at us for Agincourt.

Reply to
1501

The name perhaps comes from Some Connectors Are Really Tinny

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

The problem is not so much with the connector but with the over stiff cables often used. If you must use such a stiff cable you really need a locking connector, such as the standard D types. Ribbon cable type ones are ok as they are much more flexible.

Plenty of similar flat pin connectors around.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The other thing that makes SCART troublesome is that is' a big plug with a heavy cable, but no retention mecahnism. Duuuuh. What a good idean that wasn't.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

The SCART plug system *when properly implemented* is actually pretty good. Unfortunately nastily made plugs and very cheap leads have given the system a bad name. Well-made plugs don't fall out of well-made sockets! Ok, it's rather dated now and some of the modern requirements aren't met by SCART, but that isn't really SCART's fault as the designers couldn't predict the future too well 30 years ago...

Try some well-made leads. They're well worth it for those of us who are still using SCART.

Reply to
mick

We'll have to show them 2 fingers again. Come the referendum :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks Denis and all the other posters.

I want to change the configuration live.

The situation is as follows.

In my hobby room, I have a 14 inch TV with one scart connection. 2 dvd readers, one of which can write to a DVD and hard disk. 2 Video recorders, one with no scart. A free view box, or three. And a 3 input scart switch. Last night, I got the video recorder talking to the DVD re-recorder and I could see what was going on with the TV.

I successfully recorded from tape to hard drive, so my next task is to record to DVD.

What I am going to try to do is transfer anything from old, that is on tape to DVD.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

My main annoyance with them at the moment is the size of the plugs. We've a LCD telly in the bedroom and management want it hung on the wall. Fine, but i need ot feed it with a scart lead from the cable tv box. Plan is to hide cable box in the large built in wardrobe but to do that I need to cut a huge hole big enough for the massive scart plug :-/

Either that or sit in the wardrobe soldering a plug on and making my own :-(

Talking of which, free delivery from maplin this weekend so I thought I'd get the bits I need to make my own. Seems they only sell crap scart plugs and I can't even find the cable :-( I've largely given up with maplin :-(

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

CPC sell the cable, in 25m reels, at £150 a reel! Hate to think of the price in short lengths, if you can find a supplier.

Not ideal, but if you could get a suitable lead that fans out into smaller connectors, and connect two of them (one 'in', one 'out'), you could get the smaller connectors through a smaller hole. Problem is you may not get the control signals passed through, not to mention a bit of loss in the connectors.

If you have to do a large hole, you could use a cable tidy (as they use in the tops of desks) to tidy the hole.

Reply to
Bob Eager

can halve the work by buying a scart to scart lead and cutting one end off and soldering a new one on after threading the cable.

I found a crimped lead and popped the pins out once, I have no idea what make it was though.

Reply to
dennis

Tried that - the shielding was made largely from what appeared to be ultrathing copper foil that was impossible to solder. This wasn't a cheap cable either (5m - cost 30 quid or so many years back).

Hmmmm...yeah, I've done that once before now you mention it. I wonder...

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Maplin do it by the metre - just their search engine is crap and I couldn't find it :) (although their site appears to be completely buggered now)

Fine if you want Comp video and audio. Not so good for me as I want RGB. Also, as you say, I'd need to sort out the control signals. I'd end up having to make my own anyway :-(

This is a large sliding door wardrobe that is nearly 4m long. The bit I'd have to cut the hole in is only 20mm wide so it'd be more of a slot than a hole. It's also finished with a moulding to would be near impossible to fill and hide afterwards.

I did ponder one of the wireless video senders - any one know if any of those do rgb or are they just comp vid (I suspect so...)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

No, I saw some that did RGB too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , D.M.Chapman writes

geoff

Think most 21 pin connectors would need a large hole. The alternative is to use individual phonos etc for the various video and audio signals - but then you'd need extra for the data lines. At least SCARTS are easy to plug up.

Cut a plug off a ready made one and fit a new one? Maplin used to sell SCART cable by the meter. Dunno about now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)