"Peritelevision" = SCART?

Anyone else ever seen a TV marked "peritelevision" instead of "SCART"?

-- =

There are forty =A3100 million notes in the Bank of England.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Peritel is the original spec and some of those used a modified Din connector. The oold Amstrad version of the Spectrum computer had a peritel port on it it was a din. When the french inventedthe scart they used the same electrical specs, but added to it and called it Scart.

I am sure its initials mean something in the French. Brian Brian Gaff - snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Blind user, so no pictures please!

This document should only be read by those persons for whom Paranoia is normal and its contents are probably boring and confusing. If you receive this e-Mail message in error, do not notify the sender immediately, instead, print it out and make paper animals out of it. As the rest of this disclaimer is totally incomprehensible, we have not bothered to attach it.

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Wilkinson Sword" Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2017 4:39 PM Subject: "Peritelevision" = SCART?

Anyone else ever seen a TV marked "peritelevision" instead of "SCART"?

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So peritelevision refers to the electrical spec?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

As I remember it, the connector was mandatory on French TVs to allow for a decoder. Peritel simply stood for peripheral tv connetor.

Brian's comment "It was a din" implies the German's also adopted it as a standard. DIN being the same as BS. A quick Google showns that SCART was the French equivalent of BREMA. - a truely international connector. It's biggest drawback was the lack of a latch.

Reply to
charles

Explain "decoder". Like a Sky box?

I'm surprised the French would make something mandatory like that, Germany or Switzerland perhaps....

And that it the thick cable was big enough to pull it out. And because the cable came out the side, it was 50% likely to be on the wrong side.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

France embarked on some analogue channels being "scrambled" in someway. A decoder was needed to view them. A payment card could be inserted in the decoder.

Well, they did. Probably to protect home industry. They were good at that.

Reply to
charles

So the SCART was used as input AND output simultaneously?

Sounds more like something America would do.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes.

France was very good at it, too.

Reply to
charles

Interesting. Why not put the signal from the aerial into the decoder, then through to the TV?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

If you fed the aerial into the decoder, it would need a complete receiver.

Reply to
charles

I haven't seen one, but I know "Peritel(ivision)" as another name for SCART.

SCART (from Syndicat des Constructeurs d'Appareils Radiorécepteurs et Téléviseurs ? Radio and Television Receiver Manufacturers' Association) is a French-originated standard and associated 21-pin connector for connecting audio-visual (AV) equipment. It is also known as Péritel (or Peritelevision) (especially in France), 21-pin EuroSCART (Sharp's marketing term in Asia), Euroconector,[1] EuroAV or EXT. In America, another name is EIA Multiport (an EIA interface).

Reply to
Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Seems to work in the UK. Although perhaps tech had advanced a bit by then.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why are you feeding the Hucker troll? He is laughing at you.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Oh, it would work, just cost lot more.

Reply to
charles

Peritel connector is another name for a SCART connector, it is used more in France- or was.

I would expect it to be rather old hat these days.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Indeed, found it on the back of an old telly sat in my attic. Not sure if I can even freecycle it, might have to stick it in the blue box.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Graham.

Because at the time that was a small as a connector could be made with that number of pins. My understanding is that here have been advances in metallurgy which have made it possibly to have much smaller, but still reliable, springy, contacts.

Reply to
Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Er.... I think you corrupted that link.

Reply to