"Peritelevision" = SCART?

The spec of the interconnection really. It goes back to the analogue days. Has rgb and composite and stereo sound both ways and a pin with voltage on it to do switching of inputs. However some scarts are not complete. I've come across them with just composite, no RGB at all and no switching pin. Also when the different aspect ratios started to come in other pins in the Scart started to be used for that switching as well. I guess you can look on it as the analogue version of hdmi but without the anti piracy built in to the latter system, and no HD.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It works for me.

Reply to
charles

Does the link have unusual characters in it? The above % codes make symbols for me, and A with an accent and a copyright symbol. Wikipedia then doesn't know what page I'm requesting.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes some equipment didn't do RGB, quite annoying.

Quite useful the pin that tells the TV to change input when you play a DVD though.

There was antipiracy in analogue - activision or something. Easy to remove with a signal "cleaner".

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Wrong.

But he's just trolling as usual, so I won't explain.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

Plenty of connectors around then with much denser pin count. The SCART was probably designed for cheapness.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Paignton 159 series, for instance. Much use din thn BBC.

I'm sure.

Reply to
charles

There were higher density connectors (in various fields) around when SCART was introduced. SCART was simply cheap and easy to assemble and a standard at a time there wasn't really one. As connectors go, to put it mildly, it isn't very good. Having said that, given they tend not to be plugged /unplugged that often etc., they did the job.

Reply to
Brian Reay

r Manufacturers'

They were really easy to wire up your own too, for example to distribute= the output of a Sky box to several TVs.

-- =

Said the Duchess of Windsor at tea, "Young man, do you fart when you pee?" I replied with some wit "Do you belch when you shit?" I think that was one up to me.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword