Scam product for sale in Guardian newspaper, allegedly

And the languages that ran on them.

PROGRAM INCONSTANT CALL BONK(5) PRINT *,5 STOP END SUBROUTINE BONK(I) I=I+1 END

Reply to
davebudd

It's something I learnt quite a while back, so maybe do an Internet search - ther's bound to be a cite somewhere. As this is a legal newsgroup, I should also point out that there is as yet no Act that makes it illegal for a girl to learn about physics.

Though it is possible that the government may bring in such a law soon.

Reply to
Cynic

It shows that even constants are relative.

Reply to
Cynic

You missed out a --- in there somewhere.

Reply to
Cynic

Can't throw Can't punch Can't run

Physsics, innit.

Reply to
DZ-015

Aye. So I did.

Bllx!

Reply to
DZ-015

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:37:24 -0000, DZ-015 wrote the following to uk.misc:

- .... . ..-. ..- -.-. -.-

mh.

Reply to
Marcus Houlden

Yeah, but it seemed ungentlemanly t pint ut the errr. After all, what's the dd vwel between friends?

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

The ferrite has the advantage of allowing you to null out an interfering station. Interference was more of a problem on domestic sets with wide IF's than sensitivity.

I recall a set that had a ferrite for LW, MW and 3 SW bands. There was an aerial socket as well, which connected to a separate coil on the ferrite IIRC. A knob on the front was connected via a string & pullies which allowed the user to rotate the ferrite for best reception.

Can't tell you the make - it was a while back. It had a triple-gang air spaced tuning capacitor, a complex pully system to connect the tuning knob, capacitor and indicator needle that I never managed to get mechanically working quite right. Five valves in the receive circuit (one a dual triode, ECC83 I think, so effectively 6 active devices), a double anode rectifier valve and a neon voltage stabiliser tube. Also a "magic eye" tube as a tuning indicator.

I remember it very well because I found it quite badly damaged in a scrap heap & rebuilt it after tracing the circuit & figuring out what valves to put in the empty sockets. Very proud of that radio, I was, but as it had no case my parents would not allow it in the house, it had to stay in the workshop.

Some of the new-fangled portable radios (AKA "trannies") had ferrites for SW as well as a whip aerial. A 9-transistor set I saved up for and bought new could receive SW on the ferrite alone, or extend the whip for weaker stations. (The label said it was a 10 transistor set, but one was being used as a diode, so I didn't count it). Then silicon started to replace germanium, radios came with a strange new band called "FM" and things went downhill from there ...

Talk about an AC/DC "trannie" to the youth of today, and they totally misinterpret what you are talking about.

Reply to
Cynic

You and the population of Hull, apparently.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I wouldn't worry about it as it will all come out in the wash - apart from the odd big rip or two..

Reply to
Palindr☻me

This is a recoconstruction of this highly dubious OFF79 Guardian reader offer expunged from their internet site (unless anyone else can track it down ) on

Quote crystal clear television

TV aerial, Just £14.99 inc UK p&p When you find there's something good to watch on TV, there's nothing worse than having it spoiled by poor reception. But now you can receive a better picture and sound with this innovative indoor TV aerial. Featuring new technology, the aerial simply plugs into your TV, removing the need for ugly outdoor or clumsy indoor aerials. Can also be used with your AM/FM radio

End Quote

What they aren't telling you about DNA profiles and what Special Branch don't want you to know.

nutteingd in a search engine

Valid email nutteing@fastmail.....fm (remove 4 of the 5 dots) Ignore any other apparent em address used to post this message - it is defunct due to spam.

Reply to
Paul Nutteing

Um, you need to check your headers, Cynic.

Reply to
Linz

[snip]

Okay, hands up in uk.d-i-y, uk.legal and uk.misc who actually gives a toss, other than Paul?

Reply to
Linz

The point is how many people, next week , having paid their 14.99 and received their Easylife electronic antenna. Then find it doesn't work and research the way one does these days and find this thread on Usenet.

What they aren't telling you about DNA profiles and what Special Branch don't want you to know.

nutteingd in a search engine

Valid email nutteing@fastmail.....fm (remove 4 of the 5 dots) Ignore any other apparent em address used to post this message - it is defunct due to spam.

Reply to
Paul Nutteing

Whilst in no way suggesting that this thing is other than=20 a complete scam - it does make me wonder if, at this very=20 moment, some inventor is just finishing off tweaking the=20 positions of the elements of this tiny phased array that=20 really does produce this beautiful single lobe with no=20 sidelobes, the "perfect" miniature tv aerial..but, because=20 of scams like these no one will ever believe it and buy one.=20 It could even appear to be passive, by picking up and using=20 all the other crap that fill up the spectrum in most houses,=20 these days. It does bring some odd operating instructions to=20 mind, "If the aerial appears not to work, put your mobile=20 phone next to it".

Perhaps the inventor might be persuaded to design a=20 steerable phased array flat aerial for satellite tv=20 reception - that could be stuck on a window or hung out of=20 it to allow those in listed buildings or living under=20 restrictive local controls, the joys of French Televison.=20 ISTR one being mentioned in the papers years ago but this=20 seems to have died a death.

Going even further OT, one of my neighbours, in Dartmoor=20 National Park, has what appears to be at least a 2m=20 steerable satellite dish fitted to the top of his caravan in=20 the garden of his house - with a cable going back to his=20 house. The National Park people came and looked and sent=20 away nonplussed - well it isn't actually a permanent fixture=20 is it? He seems to have found a way around the 90cm limit,=20 as they haven't been back. I am not sure what the legal=20 position is though or what it would be if he took the=20 caravan on the highway...The Parks people are probably about=20 to get him under some anti-terrorism legislation - they must=20 be experts at that area of law.

--=20

Sue

Reply to
Palindr☻me

*I'm* posting from uk.legal. As I did not alter the newsgroup list, you may be reading it in a diy group.
Reply to
Cynic

For God's sake...put in a proper signature separator (that's two dashes, followed by a space, on one line).

Then the followups won'r repeat your paranoid sig.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:39:40 -0000, Paul Nutteing wrote the following to uk.misc:

I'm still waiting to see your proof that it doesn't work. All you've said so far is that it *probably* doesn't work because you can't work out how it does. Have you tried one? Have you heard from other people who have tried one?

You might also want to lose the stuff below or at least put it under a sig separator as it otherwise makes you look like one of those "'they' are coming to get me" loons.

Reply to
Marcus Houlden

Whilst in no way suggesting that this thing is other than a complete scam - it does make me wonder if, at this very moment, some inventor is just finishing off tweaking the positions of the elements of this tiny phased array that really does produce this beautiful single lobe with no sidelobes, the "perfect" miniature tv aerial..but, because of scams like these no one will ever believe it and buy one. It could even appear to be passive, by picking up and using all the other crap that fill up the spectrum in most houses, these days. It does bring some odd operating instructions to mind, "If the aerial appears not to work, put your mobile phone next to it".

Perhaps the inventor might be persuaded to design a steerable phased array flat aerial for satellite tv reception - that could be stuck on a window or hung out of it to allow those in listed buildings or living under restrictive local controls, the joys of French Televison. ISTR one being mentioned in the papers years ago but this seems to have died a death.

I thought it was too good to be true at the time on Tomorrow's World some years back. A sort of asymmetric Fresnel lens , custom built for your window orientation, lat & long and satellite choice. You stuck this ring structure to your window and positioned the electronic bit from your dish inside the room. Perhaps the trouble was you had to change the glass of your window to whatever the material is that covers the Fylingdales mushrooms.