ACE hardware tool sale scam

I just wanted to comment on a new trend that I've noticed in many ACE hardware stores - the appearance of tool bins - usually near the front door- filled with random items that appear to be "on sale". Set up to resemble a clearance sale, these displays are full of cheap tools which are marked at one price but "marked down" to $1.99 or something on the sign...KNOW THIS: these aren't good tools on sale, they are very crappy tools (made in China) and are invariably prone to breakage. They haven't been marked down, either - they never were intended top be sold at their indicated prices. I know you're thinking, "so what? It's only two bucks." And you're right - sometimes a cheap set of wire brushes is just what you need for a quick project. But if you've ever had a drill bit break off in a nice piece of wood, or worse, a bungee cord snap off at a bad time, you'll understand why these things can cost a lot more than the two dollars you paid. I just don't like the subtle deception that's used in the marketing of these items...you get what you pay for.

Reply to
saulgood1

Many years ago I bought a cheap nipper that way. It still works better than any expensive tool i've found. Sometimes you luck out and get more than you paid for.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Your last line says it all: "you get what you pay for". There is another saying: "Buyer beware"

Sometimes it is clearance, sometimes not. Sometimes it is cheap junk. Sometimes it is good stuff, to be cleared, but not marked down at all.

A professional auto mechanic needs top quality tools. Other people need similar, good but not top quality. Some people only need cheap junk. Back when Estwing framing hammers were CDN$30, I was buying cheap hammers by the case for $2.00 each. I purchased the cheap ones because the guys on the moving trucks were going to lose them or steal them almost as fast as they were issued.

A catalogue I receive once offered a tool that was described as ugly, possibly rust-spotted, a do everything tool for the person who thinks an axe is a hammer and a screwdriver a prybar. It was designed for opening crates. They advertised it as being suitable for the person who misuses good tools and leaves everything out in the rain. That happens to be a particularly honest vendor, who generally deals in top line tools.

There is a place for top line, and a place for junk. I have tools at all levels of quality, depending on how often I use it, and what kind of abuse it will get, etc.

It is fine to have your eyes open for a good deal, but you also need to have your eyes open for quality and whether it is a good deal. Each of use needs to be an educated observant consumer

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce & Lois Nelson