Part P in Guardian!

Has anyone else seen the article TO DIE FOR by Caroline Roux, The Guardian Weekend/January 29?

that Part P is starting to be mentioned in the more general media at last. Funny how little I noticed before in came into force.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

What else would you expect from the Grauniad

Reply to
sploop

Sigh. I hadn't; but whoever NICEIC hired as a PR company has clearly been doing an effective job... this reporter's been well-blinded with Frightening Numbers, which as usual fail to distinguish between fixed wiring and faulty appliances, and lives in the happy middle-class urban bubble where regulation actually has an *effect*. Where's Brass Eye when you need 'em? ;-)

Yes - the canapes-and-Krug from the PRs seem to have been extended to the Archer's scriptwriter too: Mike Tucker's moaning on [nothing new there] about how hard it is to get an electrician in for his new build, as they're all so busy with work 'now that these new regulations have come in'.

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

On 30 Jan 2005 23:03:30 GMT, Rod Hewitt strung together this:

I see someone's just got a 'My first book of statistics'. Pity they didn't get a 'Interpreting statistics' book too.

Reply to
Lurch

(rhetorical question!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Well fancy that! Is the BCO based in Borchester? How long does it take him/her to visit Ambridge ... ?

In the real world (or at least that portion of it that my matrix settings allow me to perceive) the local electrical-contractor has appended the slogan "Part P regulations compliant' to the list of bullet-points on his window. Chatting to some of his workers they opined;- 'We think it's all a tax scheme. There's so much paperwork and certificates now so you can't do the off-the-books-cash-only 'put in another outlet there' job!' Gordon Brown will have better visibility of the jobbing installer thanks to the emanations from the ODPM.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Well apart from all the other holes in the article:

I was under the impression that adding a spur to a circuit - so long as it wasn't in a kitchen or other special area - would count as minor works.... A quick google says that's the case anyway.

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

Typical lazy clueless jounalism - just rehashing a govt. press release.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

I think the BCO's been twice: once to check out the footings/foundations, and again to look at the lower courses of the brickwork - the second visit requiring him to knock down and rebuild part of the brickwork already done.

Proving I'm no real Archers addict, I'd got the dramatis personae all upgemixt: the self-builder (and Part-P whinger) is Neil Carter; Mike Tucker is his more laid-back sometime helpmate (and wall-integrity-up-screwer). This week's crisis on the self-build front is bouncing cheques and a funding crunch, as previous overruns stretch Neil's already low-contingency budget to, or beyond, breaking point.

So that's all clear, then ;-) Dum de dum de dum de dum, dum de dum de dum dum...

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Far worse. We all sometimes have to do something inane to earn money but surely only teachers and other left wing Trotskyites actually read this s**te.

Reply to
Mike

You really are brainwashed aren't you. Get yourself sorted man. Get sorted.

to open account

Reply to
Dr Evil

Aha, we have an answer. Looks like Mr. Evil here is obviously a Grauniad reader! Looks like you were spot on Mike...

Reply to
John Rumm

I find it amazing a man from the impoverish third world supports such right wing crap that keep the likes of you down. Thye must love you.

to open account

Reply to
Dr Evil

John Rumm wrote in news:41feb02c$0$70225$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net:

OP was by a G reader! But distinctly less than impressed by this piece. I am writing to her.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Can she read ?

Reply to
Mike

Logical posting?

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

With a few more samples, a concordance analysis of 'Dr Evil' will probably show an exact match to IMM - don't people think?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Interesting comparison to cooking. How many people hold cooking qualifications? I suspect that more people suffer from badly prepared food, and accidents in the kitchen, than from faulty DIY household wiring!

Reply to
Michael Chare

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 17:38:05 -0000, "Michael Chare" strung together this:

Don't let the facts get in the way of a government campaign.

Reply to
Lurch

In message , Michael Chare writes

How about restricting the use of motor vehicles to people with at least IAM qualification? Must save more lives. Of course, the licence fee would have to be high enough to maintain tax levels.

How about an NVQ level in walking? Incompetent pedestrians must also cause many accidents... nobody allowed outside their houses without one. Oh! Most accidents happen in the home! Let's get started on the curriculum for the Living At Home licence examination...

Reply to
Joe