which comes first...bath or tiles

Hello (again)

is there an order to decorating a bathroom.

Do you fix a baton to a wall and tile the room leaving a gap for the bath, add the bath and then fill in the

remaining tiles.

Or do you add the bath, add the baton, tile the room, remove the baton then tile down to the bath.

A but confused as I am telephone engineer and not a tiler ;-)

Thanks

Reply to
john Smith

Most definitely add the bath first and then tile around it. At least that's what the guy did that I payed to come in and do the work.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Most definitely tile first, then add the bath. That's what I did.

Actually, I installed the bath, realised that there was no way to tile round it neatly, so took it out, tiled and put it back.

Shan't make that mistake again.

Reply to
Huge

Boots first, then corset.

Oh, sorry - that's _next_ weekend.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Bath in first, then place thin hardboard or thick cardboard, looking for about 3mm then use bath and batons at same level. (depends on ceiling height and tile size, you don't really want a cut less than 50mm around ceiling)

i.e. ceiling 2400, -bath at 500 height, / tile 250 = 7.6 tile from bath, 2 tiles down to floor. Less cuts, quicker job, keeps the misses happy!

If you get a sheet of 3mm hardboard same size as bath, stops the bath getting full of shit!

If you place a baton around higher than bath, bath may go in later, will give more room to work but will take longer due to the extra cuts.

Reply to
Dave Jones

Look, if you're going to do this, respect the Labs convention: warn Stefek "joke follows" *before* the joke. Otherwise, the screen gets splattered with tea+spittle, the nasal passages get a tea wash, and the resulting washings end up all over the keyboard.

Not hygenic, not welcome.

;-)

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

The normal way is to install the bath, then do all the tiling, then fit the basin and cistern. A plumber will probably prefer to fit all 3 at the same time but, if you have the tiles on site, get him to leave a gap behind basin and cistern as they are usually impossible to tile up to neatly.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Who mention the basin and cistern?!!

Easier to get one guy to do the lot.

Reply to
Dave Jones

Modern baths are so flexible you must fix them into the wall reall tight and overlap them with tiles or you'll end up with leaks.

Basin is rigid so you can tile the wall behind it first, blob silicon on the back of the basin as well as fixing it with two screws. Silicon it to the pedestal, finish transition between the back and the tile with silicone.

Many toilets are now close coupled button flush which have no provisio for fixing to wall. Again tile first, and sit it up against the tiles Fix pan with the usual two brass screws

-- Paul Barker

Reply to
Paul Barker

But is it the best way? In a large bathroom the floor and walls are tiled first, then the bath planted in the middle of the room. In a small bathroom the bath is up against a wall and as it is cheaper to not tile behind the bath thats what generally happens, but on the other hand tiles behind and under the bath would provide waterproofing protection

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

silicone

Silicone

provision

The cisterns still have two screw holes above the water line to fix to the wall. I don't see why the type of flush affects this.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

That's what I would do in an ideal world, but still wanted/needed to use my bath so the bath went in first. Same for the toilet. Last thing to go in was the basin.

Reply to
adder1969

I've always fitted the bath then tiled because it aids in securing the bath and you'll get a better waterproof seal between it and the wall, especially if the wall is not exactly straight.

Reply to
StealthUK

Tile *nearly* down to the bath (needs a temporary batten to support the lowest row). You don't want the bath in place while you're doing this!

Then install the bath. Then remove the batten, and cut the bottom row to fit down to the bath - with a little gap for sealant. When the tiles have well stuck, apply a bead of sealant between tiles and bath - with the bath full of water.

Reply to
Set Square

They don't all have holes for screws

-- Paul Barker