Sealing Bath

A year ago we had the bathroom decoarated which included new tiles and new
bath.
There is a visible gap between bath and tile of 3 or 4 mm along the two
sides bath which meet wall.
What is the best way to fill in gap so that shower water does not run into
gap and down wall?
Is it:
1) Some kind of mastic sealant or,
2) or something like
Something else - please advise
Regards
Steve
Reply to
Stephen Fisher
Cheapest option Silicone sealant, beware other bathroom sealants that are not silicone based as these take days to cure. Use masking tape on the bath and wall, run a bead of sealant, then use a wet scrap peice of small diameter plastic pipe to suit the shape you need and run along the sealant to remove excess waste Then remove the masking tape before the sealant sets. hth
Reply to
Vass
especially if a new installation, to ensure the bath sinks/moves to its resting place
Reply to
Vass
If it is an acrylic bath, yes. They tend to drop a few mm with the weight of the water & bather. Just leave the water in overnight to allow the sealer to 'go off'.
Don.
Reply to
cerberus
Thus spake cerberus ( snipped-for-privacy@thegatesofhell.com) unto the assembled multitudes:
When I did mine, I stuffed old plastic bags down into the gap between bath and wall, using a blade to ram them down into the gap, so as to make an extra barrier before applying the sealant. It's been absolutely fine for the last 10 years.
Reply to
A.Clews
On Oct 20, 12:38 pm, "Stephen Fisher" wrote:
Hi,
Some sort of closed cell foam would be good, I'd cut a strip of pipe lagging.
cheers, Pete.
Reply to
Pete C
I'll attempt the tip with plastic bags. Thats what i like about this group -tips you don't find in the DIY books
Cheers
Steve
Reply to
Stephen Fisher
Just apply sealant with something like this. (watch the video)
picked up a JML 4 tool set for £2.99 recently in in-store

Reply to
Steven
Thus spake Stephen Fisher ( snipped-for-privacy@spamgmail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:
It's probably worth making sure that they aren't the biodegradable bags such as used by Tesco and the like. Otherwise you may find that they disintegrate over time and you'll lose that extra barrier. I did mine before biodegradable bags became common. Gosh, they might be collectors' items next time I decide to renew the sealant and remove the old bags :-)
Reply to
A.Clews
Thus spake cerberus ( snipped-for-privacy@thegatesofhell.com) unto the assembled multitudes:
I walked right into that one. :-)