Sealing Bath

A year ago we had the bathroom decoarated which included new tiles and new bath.

There is a visible gap between bath and tile of 3 or 4 mm along the two sides bath which meet wall.

What is the best way to fill in gap so that shower water does not run into gap and down wall?

Is it:

1) Some kind of mastic sealant or, 2) or something like
Something else - please advise

Regards

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Fisher

Cheapest option Silicone sealant, beware other bathroom sealants that are not silicone based as these take days to cure. Use masking tape on the bath and wall, run a bead of sealant, then use a wet scrap peice of small diameter plastic pipe to suit the shape you need and run along the sealant to remove excess waste Then remove the masking tape before the sealant sets. hth

Reply to
Vass

Am i correct in thinking that i should fill bath with water before applying sealant?

Reply to
Stephen Fisher

especially if a new installation, to ensure the bath sinks/moves to its resting place

Reply to
Vass

If it is an acrylic bath, yes. They tend to drop a few mm with the weight of the water & bather. Just leave the water in overnight to allow the sealer to 'go off'.

Don.

Reply to
cerberus

If its best (but not the cheapest) consider this...

Jim Alexander

Thus spake cerberus ( snipped-for-privacy@thegatesofhell.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

When I did mine, I stuffed old plastic bags down into the gap between bath and wall, using a blade to ram them down into the gap, so as to make an extra barrier before applying the sealant. It's been absolutely fine for the last 10 years.

Reply to
A.Clews

Hi,

Some sort of closed cell foam would be good, I'd cut a strip of pipe lagging.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I'll attempt the tip with plastic bags. Thats what i like about this group -tips you don't find in the DIY books

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Fisher

Just apply sealant with something like this. (watch the video)

picked up a JML 4 tool set for £2.99 recently in in-store

Steven

Thus spake Stephen Fisher ( snipped-for-privacy@spamgmail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

It's probably worth making sure that they aren't the biodegradable bags such as used by Tesco and the like. Otherwise you may find that they disintegrate over time and you'll lose that extra barrier. I did mine before biodegradable bags became common. Gosh, they might be collectors' items next time I decide to renew the sealant and remove the old bags :-)

Reply to
A.Clews

Polifilla or Polygamy? ;-)

Don.