Scam product for sale in Guardian newspaper, allegedly

This all-pervading subliminal Americanisation. Recently on the forensic science group I was raising matters of fundamental importance in modern forensic science. All they could throw back at me was my repeated 'wrong' spelling of the word they spell defense - no technical rebuttal.

What they aren't telling you about DNA profiles and what Special Branch don't want you to know.

nutteingd in a search engine

Valid email nutteing@fastmail.....fm (remove 4 of the 5 dots) Ignore any other apparent em address used to post this message - it is defunct due to spam.

Reply to
Paul Nutteing

What is the field strength, and what is the frequency? And an aeriel doesn't have to be an *external* 'rod'. But where there is no internal aerial - ie a TV, then the box in question is the entire thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, if the signal strength is high enough, no aerial at all will suffice. Just pickup on the PCB. Indeed, if you are close to a TV transmitter it's common for it to swamp wanted signals causing patterning etc on the picture. But that doesn't negate proper aerial design for the majority.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Both are correct spellings. 'Meter' is the preferred use on the continent even when used in English language documents.

Reply to
Mike

The message from "Mike" contains these words:

Only in American english. A meter is an instrument in English, not a measurement of length.

Reply to
Roger

Just a thought - is this product from US ? According to US films (!!) most TV watchers use a poor rabbit-ears aerial on top of their sets, which cannot be much good. The easylife antenna could be better than those, and reduce ghosting if it is somewhat directional. It's a question of what you are comparing it with. Nowhere does it say compared to qualify roof aerials as used in UK. Anyone care to buy one and crack it open ? Simon.

Reply to
Simon

Most American TV watchers are using cable or building-wide antennae.

American analogue broadcast TV is of such poor quality (technical, not artistic) that the degradation of a lousy antenna just isn't the worst problem anyway. If you're stuck with NTSC, there's no real point in caring about signal quality.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

FFS use a valid sig-sep will you?

Reply to
Mary Pegg

And in EU English. Meter is the preferred spelling in EU, ETSI, IEC and other documents where English is used as a common language.

Reply to
Mike

Only partially correct. The Ferrite rod of the aerial is used to concentrate the received field and link it to the coils wound on the rod. The coils form a resonant circuit with the tuning capacitor. The rod and coils combined are the arial and the rules regarding the length of dipole aerials don't apply.

Reply to
not available

Quite, all stuff I learnt well over 30 years ago. So why do you say I was only "partially" correct? Which part do you believe I got wrong? A "ferrite rod aerial" describes the ferrite *and* the coil BTW.

You might also think about other things that are capable of concentrating the received field.

Reply to
Cynic

Ooh, ooh! Are you an old fart like me, then? I learned this stuff

*forty* years ago, and it's still just as true today as if it was yesterday.
Reply to
Sn!pe

Ferrite rod aerials are irrelevant to UHF. Or even HF, if you look at the average radio which includes SW.

No - I think you should explain how the device in question might work?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK point taken. It should be "only a partial answer"!

I was clarifying the point that Ferrite aerials can not be compared with dipole based ones with regard to size. Paul may find it interesting that some small AM receivers work well with a Ferrite slab aerial just a few inches long.

Reply to
not available

Yup, I'm an old fart. But I don't drive like one :-)

The laws of physics have hardly changed at all in my lifetime so far, although I suspect that if labour get another term they'll be wanting to make a few changes!

Reply to
Cynic

I have seen many radios with ferrite aerials for shortwave. I was however only addressing the erroneous point made by a poster that the size of an aerial is always proportional to the wavelength.

I have no idea whether the device in question works or not, and if it does work what principle it adopts. It probably *is* a scam. I recall an "automatic tuner" that lots of hams were conned into buying years ago, and which was advertised in some reputable ham radio magazines.

I am not defending the aerial at all. I just get a tad annoyed when people make statements that something that is claimed is totally impossible when it would be trivial to prove one way or the other. So I'm just picking holes in the reasoning of people that are saying so.

I will not make the statement that the aerial in question is

*impossible*. It is not as if it would violate any basic principle of physics. Maybe it is similar to a ferrite aerial. At UHF you could not make a conventional ferrite aerial with a coil & capacitor, because any coil would have far too much inductance to be able to make it resonate at UHF. But maybe something like a stripline resonant circuit on a ferrite base? Or some other material that can concentrate the magnetic or electrical component of the EM field. Maybe I'll get curious enough to waste the price of the aerial to find out for sure that it is a scam. I agree that the claims sound very suspect, especially the one regarding ghosting (though a ferrite aerial has very pronounced null regions that would be useful to eliminate ghosting). *If* there is such a principle behind the aerial, it would not be something the mobile phone bods would be clamouring over. Because, as I am sure you are aware, a ferrite aerial can only be used for reception, not transmission. An aerial for transmission must couple both E and M fields, and ferrite acts only on the M field.
Reply to
Cynic

Quite deliberately so, I'm afraid. ;-)

See my other post, & I'll reiterate in this one that I am not arguing that the aerial is question actually works as advertised. Only that there is no law of physics that would indicate that it is

*impossible*.
Reply to
Cynic

You mean they have a bit? I do hope not. That would make life very confusing. OTOH, what advances have been made in our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics in the last 40 years or so?

I think I'll go and think about that one.

Reply to
Mary Pegg

Some of the constants have changed by a tiny amount.

Quite a few, but I don't agree with all of the new understandings.

Reply to
Cynic

I would not mind betting that this 'product' has its case plastic welded closed if its like the previous proven scam. Different shaped plastic box but once the case was cracked open the scam was plain to see. The 2 wires on the lead for the TV were soldered together to one point on a board. Nothing on this board except a hand drawn shape in copper resembling a small christmas tree. No electronics of any technology and no power source. It was an out and out scam. They must have made a fortune out of it as their adverts were half page, full colour, in most of the UK colour supplements.

Anyone cracking open the Guardian Easylife electronic antenna would not be able to claim back their 15 quid.