Rotothingy from Argos

Argos are selling at a sale a Rotozip type tool, called a spiral saw, for £14, down from £24. Great for occassional use and gets you out of bother here and there.

Reply to
IMM

Just had a look at this

search for 710/6608). I wonder can we all buy one and then get them under the misrepresentation of goods act? The picture is actually a pukka Rotozip, and the description is their Challenge brand!

John

Reply to
John

Looks OK for £24, and snip at £14.

Reply to
IMM

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:22:43 +0100, "IMM" strung together this:

If you like it I don't want one anymore.

Reply to
Lurch

On this subject I like all the web shopping sites that have a caption under the pictures which say "Image for illustrative purposes only"

for example has this under every picture). Er, yes, pictures do tend to be for illustrative purposes. Does that really let them out from any claims that the picture wasn't what you got when you bought the item? Surely the "illustrative purpose" is to show you what you're going to get.

Maybe I should add a disclaimer here "writing for communication purposes only".

Reply to
usenet

Similiarly Richer Sounds are selling an Arcam amp on ebay (item 5705657974) The picture which is NOT an Arcam 5 but one of a considerably newer model has "please note: picture approximate" beneath it

NB

Reply to
Nick Brooks

I've thought about buying one of these for some time but I couldn't justify £100+ when they first came out. At £14 this model doesn't need much justifying, and as I haven't yet thought of anything it may be useful for its probably safe to say that it won't get much more than occasional use. (Who am I trying to convince here?). So I ordered one today. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, IMM. Now that I am to be the proud owner of a Rotozip substitute, can anyone suggest ways in which they have found them useful? Just to clarify, I do already have a variety of powered saws and routers, all of which are in regular use. Thanks. Kevin.

Reply to
Kevin Webb

I have surface mounted cabinet lights in my kitchen. They are useless, having one of those 20W twin wire connectors, and one unit went the other day, yet again. I decided to fit flush downlighters with a mains bulb. Cutting out the hole was very easy with my PP Pro Rotozip. using a tile cutter bit they are great for cutting tiles. You can extend a single socket box to a double very easily, and neatly, with these.

Reply to
IMM

On 24 Jun 2004 09:12:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk strung together this:

Or in IMMs case "writing for comedy effect only".

Reply to
Lurch

Now let me get this right. You've fitted flush downlighters to the undersides of kitchen cupboards - so they stick through into the cupboard?

Hope you don't keep anything inflammable in there - or anything that doesn't like heat...

Strange the way you go on and on and on about others botching things and then admit to a serious botch yourself...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:42:07 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" strung together this:

Don't you mean "_another_ serious botch"?

Reply to
Lurch

"Kevin Webb" wrote

With a suitable bit, as a laminate trimmer for kitchen worktops.

Reply to
mike

So they will cut plaster to help fit electrical back-boxes. Will they also cut a few mm into brick? That could easily justify the price in the first hour of use. Are the bits that come with the tool any use or can anyone recommend a better make at a reasonable price? Are the wood-cutting bits only good for very rough work or can they give a reasonable finish? Presumably these would be too slow/untidy for sink cut-outs in worktops but Ok for hidden shaping of carcasses for pipes etc? I'm really looking forward to playing with this new toy now! Cheers. Kevin.

Reply to
Kevin Webb

Don't think they can. And as regards buying one just to cut plasterboard - what a waste. It can be done with a hand padsaw in seconds - if you don't already have a jigsaw.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed, bought mine yesterday. The depth gauge won't last long if you drop it mind, but the 1/8" and 1/4" collet and bits look OK and will take any other bits you can get. The main body is chunky enough and you get a carrying case, which will prevent the depth gauge getting mashed in the cupboard.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Thanks Dave but I don't think I mentioned plasterboard. IMM suggested using the tool for extending a single socket to a double. I supposed that would be in a solid plastered brick wall. I believe that most sockets require back boxes deeper than plaster-depth so I wondered whether the Rotozip substitute would cut a few mm into the brick .

Reply to
Kevin Webb

They can. You did say "think". This you are not good at.

My PP Pro can.

Reply to
IMM

It might just about with a ceramic cutter, but I can't really see any benefit over using a drill.

The thing you've got to remember about IMM is that he is a bar room DIYer

- all his information comes from adverts (which he belives without question), not practice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)