Argos, mutter, grumble...

Installed a couple of Argos items last week. When I say installed, I mean hung on the wall.
First was a large mirror. Two 'upside down keyhole' brackets with a recess behind them. Simple. Measure the distance between them, divide by 2, mark centre line on wall, draw horizontal line, drill 2 accurate holes.
This method of fixing is generally a PITA because you have to get the holes 100% spot on - there is no adjustment or 'play'.
Distance between fixing centres? 91.5cm. Divide by 2 = 47.75cm! FFS why not just make it 92 cm? Or 90cm?
Next practical joke by Argos - No:8 gauge/4mm screw (surely the most common screw size used?) won't fit the 'kin hole! I've been caught like this before so I tried it first. Had to use No:6 screws - great for a heavy mirror.
Next item was a coat rack with shelf above. Same 'upside down keyhole' brackets, same problems.
Got that on the wall, slight 'tug' to make sure its secure - and it came off in my hands.
The 'upside down keyhole' brackets were secured to the wooden coat rack with 2 x No:4 x 3/8" screws. To hold three coats FFS!
Replaced with some 'proper' screws & jobs a good 'un.
Do the idiots who design this shite ever actually try fixing one to a wall?
Or is it all a plot to annoy handymen?

✖
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 12:20:36 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

. . .

Not to mention that the screws and plugs 'included' are always pathetic.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

3 off shelf brackets. I used one as the master to mark out the position of the holes to drill. On attempting to fix the brackets I then found that each had the holes in a different place!
--
Alan
news2009 admac myzen co uk

I helped my son put up his large-ish bathroom mirror. The kit had a thoughtfully-included template for marking the positions of the fixing holes. Unfortunately, the dimensions were about 3/8" wrong - not quite close enough to use the holes we'd so carefully drilled in the wall, and not quite far enough away to drill a new ones.
--
Ian

Add pictures here
✖
On 18/03/2012 16:19 Ian Jackson wrote:

A few years back I fitted a Bathrooms.com washbasin. It wasn't until I came to hang the brackets I'd fixed using the supplied template that I found that said template had been drawn with the holes for them out of position by 180º.
The guy at the shop couldn't understand what the problem was...

✖

Turn the template over.
--
Tim

✖
On 20/03/2012 10:28 Tim Streater wrote:

The way the holes were spaced, it was impossible to get the template into a position that would get them into the correct position.

✖

Uh? If you couldn't get the template into a position that would get the holes into the correct position, presumably the washbasin wouldn't fit either?
--
Ian

Add pictures here
✖
On 20/03/2012 15:59 Ian Jackson wrote:

They had to supply the correct template. The way the brackets fitted wasn't symmetrical...

✖
This sounds very similar to toothbrush holesmanship as written by Frank Muir for Peter Sellers in Balham. The little holes are put in manually, or in other words twice a year.
I must have had a CD rack from CPC made by the same bloke as your brackets, as the left side cheek had holes for the rods that went at the back, the right side did not. Brian
--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Because it's actually an imperial dimension? 36 inches?
--
*Virtual reality is its own reward*

✖

We went metric in 1973 :-)

✖
The Medway Handyman wrote

Those making whatever it was clearly didnt.
Add pictures here
✖
In article

You don't possess a tape measure which has imperial measurements?
--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

✖

so. You still buy measuring tapes in feet/inches as well as meters - and our american cousins still use inches.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
✖
On Mar 19, 8:30 am, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I went back to imperial in 1985 :-)
Owain
Add pictures here
✖

Far from it, as a look at any road sign with distance on it will show. All we did in 1973 was to promise the EU that we would adopt metric within five years, which we eventually did for selling goods some 27 years later, after a corruption scandal in the EU prevented legislation that would have allowed us to continue to use imperial from getting through the EU parliament in time. Even now, it is only a legal requirement that pricing units are expressed in metric. A shed can still, quite legally, be sold as 6' x 8' without any need to give metric equivalents.
Colin Bignell
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:13:26 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

With the exception of DIP packages and a few connector series, most electronic components are now metric. 2.54mm = 0.1" but 2.5mm != 0.1"
Add pictures here
✖

It might have been in the dark ages.
MBQ
Add pictures here
✖
In article

Standard DIL package 0.1 inch hole centres (or centers)

--
From KT24