Challenge Router from argos

Argos have a cheap Challenge router on sale for 10 (half price) I was wondering if anyone had used this model? Is it suitable for table mounting.
I realise that it's not going to be great, but I just wanted to try making a basic router table rather than clamping my current router upside down in my workmate.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

my
I've heard from a couple of friends that they are good for the DIYer, but I haven't tried them myself so can't be to sure on how they actually feel in use.

Make sure the switch can be locked on - it seems that a trend (no pun intended!) in the lower-end routers is for non-locking switches, which IMHO actually makes the tool more dangerous for handheld use (you can end up in contortions trying to hold the switch down whilst working round a piece) and also makes it pretty damned useless for mounting in a table.
--

Richard Sampson

mail me at

I've a feeling that all routers now have to have a non-locking switch as a result of our benefactors in Brussels. I agree with you though, it does make them inherently more dangerous IMHO.
For table use, it should be possible to get around that issue with use of a Ty-rap and then to mount a no-volt switch somewhere convenient.
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Yes, I believe any power tool with a 'blade' must be non-locking.
sponix

At 10 quid I think I'd just bypass the switch and sod the warranty. With an external no volt switch, of course.
--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

"RichardS" wrote

EN50144-2-17 - particular requirements for Router 20.11 A router that is fitted with either: - a spring loaded base which protects the cutten when not in use, or - a self-closing guard which is not lockable in the open position, may have a mains switch which is lockable in the "ON" position.
All other routers shall be fitted with a mains switch which switches off automatically when the operating means is released.
Some brands (eg Bosch) get around this by supplying a U shape metal clip that will fit over the switch and lock it on for use when mounted on a table (with NVR switch). Doubt the Challenge one has such a clip - you may find a cable tie or a jubilee clip does an adequate DIY job. this would be more sensible than opening the tool and rewiring to bypass the switch.

It depends really on what you want to achieve.
Normally in a router table if you want to do anything of note, a 12.7mm router is needed and with a motor rating of at least 1500W efficiently delivered. Sadly, the low end 12.7mm routers, although they have claimed power levels of 1800-2000W, have such poor motors that they perform very badly under load. To that point, 12.7mm routers start to become decent at around the 160-170 price point with products like Freud.
A router with 6.5 and 8mm collets is really a 6.5mm router in terms of power and although I don't have direct experience of this particular model, I suspect that it is going to be very underpowered even compared with a decent 6.5mm router like a Trend T5.
However, to put it nto perspective, if you are looking for something to try out for little cost and are looking to make smallish things like bits for doll's houses, then this could be worth trying out. Don't think in terms of large cutters and panel raising, though. This is simply not going to do that, or for that matter anything else too much larger than model stuff.
At 10, it might be worth a try as long as you don't mind writing off 10. If you decide that you want to get into using a router table seriously, then it becomes about a 250 investment for a decent router plus a reasonable insert and mechanics that you could put into your own home made table.
However, even though this is an entry level type of solution that you are thinking about, please implement it safely because it will still be quite enough to mangle your hands or other bits badly.
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

my
Well I reserved one last night on the web, when I picked it up today and unpacked it I had one of these http://tinyurl.com/bo3qk don't know if that was a store or web up-cock, but for under 10 im happy. :-)
Which store :)

1. Where can I get a no-volt switch from? 2. Does it cost more than 10 :-)

Axminster Power Tool Centre KJD12E240

' fraid so.....
But then so do your fingers...... :-)
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

ta!
Indeed so! The *iron*y of it all :-O
dave wrote:

CPC
Yes ;-)
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/searchPage2.jsp?x=0&Ntt=no+volt&Nty=1&NA1&Ntk=gensearch&y=0
--
Cheers,

John.

A router spins at a very fast rate, should it go wrong, something may fly off and cause the opperator some pain.
R U really going to trust someting that you know is probably junk when you buy it ?
Rick