Argos Challenge SDS 1050W drill recall

Was in Argos this afternoon and noticed that they are recalling their

1050W cheapy SDS drill after "some" units apparently randomly switching on hammer mode and casuing injury.

Looks practically the same as the 900/950W £29.99 one in their current catalogue, but is a different wattage.

I need to check whether mine is 1050W or the newer one. They say you need a receipt, although I don't know I still have mine. I'm wondering whether to 'upgrade' it to the £39.99 Challenge Plus or whatever one (+£5 or £10ish if I get refund) which appears to look much smaller (therefore lighter?), and actually has a trigger lock!

My current one has been out 3 times. 2x for sinking sockets, and 1x for drilling a newel base. Next job I think would be taking tiles off, which the current one is probably too heavy - hence condsidering upgrading a hopefully lighter one. With the lack of use, I can't justify getting a much more expensive one. I may just get a refund and see whether I need it again in the future - if so, buy another one.

David Hearn

In message , David Hearn wrote

They want a receipt for a safety recall?

Reply to
Alan

Slightly OT, but where is the cheapest place to get an SDS drill. I only need one to drill two, maybe three, 150mm holes.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

If that's all you need to do, do you know anyone with one, that you could borrow!?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

You really don't want a cheap one, as it may not have a torque limit - if it jams it can damage you. And 150mm is the range where the cheap SDSs will tend to run too fast, and be more likely to jam and damage you, not to mention the bits being very expensive. Hire a nice one.

Assuming you are talking diameter, not depth.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

That's what their poster says (I guess it'll be used to prove the price paid etc) - but I'd expect to get it without a receipt. If they kick up a fuss, I could say that if they're refusing to take a dangerous product back, and I then get injured using it, surely they'll be (at least partly) liable... (or at least, try common sense first!)

David Hearn

You're assuming only Argos sold this drill?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A reasonable assumption since "Challenge" is an Argos own-brand.

Do you know of any other seller of this product?

Reply to
Ziggur

No - but then I've never bought an SDS drill from Argos. Or any other tool, come to that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Challenge is the Argos home brand.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Screwfix are having a deal. £99 the Makita. Excellent deal.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

For three holes it is worth buying just a cheapy. But make sure it has a clutch. After doing the holes he at least still has the drill. Hiring will be more expensive. Argos, Homebase, B&Q, Woolworth's, etc, all sell a £25-£30 SDS.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

The current one I have from Argos (heavy brute one that looks same design as the cheapy one that many retailers sell) certainly has a clutch (or at least, what I believe to be a clutch). I was using it to drill a 50mm hole 100mm deep into a newel base and if I didn't get it quite straight, it would jam. Would cause a very brief jolt but would then stop. Unless I'm misunderstanding what this means, I believe this means it has a clutch, as I would have expected a 1000W drill without clutch, if jammed, to continue turning - not just stop. Whether there are better clutches out there which don't give you a jolt before disengaging I don't know.

David Hearn

If you paid by credit card, take the statement with you as back up. I don't see how they can argue when it's an own brand.

I took an item (not own brand) back to Curries without a receipt and knowing the date from CC statement they very quickly searched the till's database and printed a duplicate receipt. As they say on the adverts - no worries!

Andrew

Reply to
google

Yes. I'd bought a DVD recorder from the SavaCentre which went wrong in less than a year. And I'd not kept the till receipt. But a quick glance at my credit card statements told me when I'd bought it - even although I'd paid for the normal shopping at the same time.

They easily found a duplicate till receipt from that which gave the date of purchase.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do they do an away brand? Does it come in different colours?

Andrew

Reply to
google

The away colours cost more and they change them 3 times a season.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

That's fairly normal. No commitment to support the customer properly.

Reply to
Andy Hall