Polishing/sealing a stone floor

I've got a flag stone floor downstairs in the hallway. It's rough stone - none of your fancy cut stones. The kind of thing you'd find lining the path in your local church yard!

I've lived in the house for four years and have totally neglected them. The previous owners appear to have polished (sealed?) them with something which is now flaking off. Whatever they used, it turned the stones from their natural grey to a kind of yellowy-gray.

I just want to have them looking top notch. I've already gone through and cleaned off various spots of paint, and so on. But what should I do next? Are there are particular products?

Reply to
NB

Hi

Sounds like an acrylic floor polish. Unlikely to be a true sealer, they aren't easily obtained by Joe Public. Flaking and yellowing are typical symptoms.

Look in Yellow Pages under Janitorial Supplies to find a local supplier and ask for Floor Polish Stripper. Extra cost but well worth it is a 'No Scrub' or 'Speed Stripper' which will save a lot of elbow grease. You will probably have to buy 5 litres.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang