Draining/refilling a heating system with a Stanley range heating the water.

Hi All,

We have an old stone house in Wales that has an open vented central heating system (feed tank in the loft) where the water is heated by a Stanley oil fired range in the kitchen. Some of the downstairs rads have cold spots in them where they are presumably full of sludge and need cleaing out. I have drained and refilled both open and closed systems before with no problem and would like to drain down the system then remove the offending rads and give them a good hosing through. Trouble is I am not sure if you need to do any different when a range is involved (its one of those oil fired ones that both cooks and heats the water for heating and bathing) as opposed to a 'normal' boiler? I was going to turn the supply off to the feed tank in the loft, drain the system from a rad in the hall (lowest) remove/clean/replace the bad rads, turn on the water to the feed tank and vent the rads while they fill then finally turn on the power to the range (which also powers up the pump in the utility room) which hopefully will push the water around the system and vent them again before having a cuppa. Do I need to do anything more to allow the range to heat the water properly (vent it or something) or do i just treat it as any other boiler?? Sorry if that sounds a bit obvious to some but I've never really come across a range before and dont want to mess it up or burn it out by turning it on without water in it. Thanks in advance for any help given, Steve.

Reply to
steve573

Don't the rads have a valve at each end?

Reply to
m1ss_wh1te

Add corrosion inhibitor?

Reply to
Rod

Caution, a photo of the cylinder may be in order and also a note on the number of tanks in the loft, it may be a prismatic cylinder where the Domestic hot water and the central heating fluid are mixed together.... In this case DO NOT add corrosion inhibitor...

Reply to
James Salisbury

For Toblerone filled systems? :-)

Given his description of the feed tank being in the loft, I think this unlikely. Mind I did assume he meant F&E rather than simply cold water tank.

Reply to
Rod