SDS drill from Argos - no instructions?

I bought an SDS drill from Argos a few weeks ago, but when I came to use it today I found there was no manual or instructions of any kind. (There might have been something on the cardboard covering but if so it was disposed of long ago.)

The drill is a "Challenge ENE26T-1000" made in China. I looked for a manual on-line but couldn't find one.

I must confess I could not even work out how to hold the bit in - I have never used an SDS drill before, and turning the ring that I expected to tighten it had no effect.

Is there an SDS drill on-line tutorial anywhere?

Any advice gratefully received.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

If it's like most, you pull the outside body of the chuck towards the body of the drill to insert or release bits. A bit of grease on the end of the bit that goes in the chuck is recommended.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The thing that threw me with my first SDS drill was that unlike a conventional hammer drill the hammer action doesn't happen until you press the bit against the wall or whatever. And when it does kick in, it can seem something quite ferocious.

The instructions with my Ferm model were very stern about not exerting too much pressure and letting the drill do the work, but I had to experiment to discover just how much pressure was too much. A certain amount is absolutely necessary.

I don't know if it's true for others, but on my drill it's necessary to refill the grease reservoir from time to time, to keep the hammer-action mechanism from running hot.

Bert

Bert Coules

If it is any help, here are the instructions for a JCB SDS drill. The SDS information should be the same across makes.

Howard Neil

In message , Timothy Murphy wrote

Are you using a SDS drill bit? SDS drill bits have slots in the end that fits the chuck You will not be able to use 'ordinary' drills in a SDS chuck.

The pictures in the following links may give you some idea what the drill bits look like.

Assuming a SDS drill bit, just push the drill bit in until the slots in the drill bit engage firmly with the corresponding splines within the chuck. You will have to turn the drill bit to first align the slots with the splines (do this by feel rather than looking)

The chuck does not rotate to tighten on the drill bit in the same way as drills you may have used before.

To release the drill bits pull back on the chuck (towards the body of the drill) and pull the bit out.

When in use the hammer action the drill bit actually moves backwards and forwards in the chuck hence the need for the slots in the drill bit.

Before inserting the drill bit you may want to apply a small amount of grease to the section of the drill bit that fits into the chuck.

Reply to
Alan

Let me know if you still need it, and I will email the instruction leaflet in PDF form.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Kaiser

Thanks for all the useful advice. I hope to get down (or rather, up) to work tomorrow.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Are you sure there's no instructions? I ask because I got one of these as a present last year and took it back to Argos for just this reason. Major embarrasment when the woman on the exchange desk pointed to the plastic pocket in the lid, inside which nestled a set of instructions in a neat poly bag. It is far from obvious until it is pointed out.

I don't need one of these often, but it does a good job on the few occasions I've used it. Bloody heavy though - especially up a ladder!

John Miller

Reply to
John Miller