Remove Radiator - Drain Combination Boiler

Hi,
In order to Drain my CH system so that that i can move a rad to a different position, Can someone confirm that I DONT have to turn the main water supply off via the stopcock.
Im of the understanding , that I only need to make sure that the combi boiler is powered off, and then i can connect a hose to a drain plug on the bottom of the rad
Many thanks

You don't have to turn of the mains water. It is not connected to the central heating side of the combi. Usually there is a drain valve somewhere in the CH system, near the lowest point. I'm not sure you need to drain the entire sstem though. If the radiator has a TRV at one end and a lockshield valve at the other, I believe that if you shut both off then you can unscrew the nuts connecting the radiator to the pipes, and all that will leak out is the water already in the radiator. I've never tried this though!
Andy.
Many thanks Andrew for your advice - Its as I expected so Im going for it tomorrow am!!!!!!!!!!!
andrewpreece wrote:

Many thanks Andrew for your advice - Its as I expected so Im going for it tomorrow am!!!!!!!!!!!
andrewpreece wrote:

Well I turned glow worm combi boiler off , drained the CH , removed the rad and capped ends OK
The lockout light now comes on after about 15s of turning the taps on - the boiler seems to fire up and the 'demand' light comes on + I can hear the pump starting .
Ive bled the rads and the refilled the system to 2.5.
I was wondering whether I have a pressure/airlock problem?
Many thanks
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 02:56:24 -0700, heinzy wrote:

See FAQ on Sealed CH systems.