Painting exterior plastic

I have some exterior plastic air vents that I need to paint to match an existing wall colour.
(I'm unable to find out what sort of plastic they are but *think* they are probably some form of ABS.)
What is the best way of painting these? I'm thinking of spraying them with some form of Plastic primer before overpainting with exterior gloss.
Is there a better way?
sponix

Plastic guttering and drainpipes don't seem to require primer. One exception is Hammerite which beads up when used on plastic.
Andy.

They're probably PVC. If they're well de-greased just gloss direct. Did some grey downpipes in black and it lasted far better than any of the woodwork.
--
*Horn broken. - Watch for finger.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:36:52 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

So why do they sell "plastic primer" in B&Q?
sponix

because people who don't read uk.d-i-y buy it
--
Tim Mitchell

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:03:58 +0100, Tim Mitchell
LOL!
sponix

For the same reasons they sell bedroom paint. Kitchen paint. Garage paint. Etc. To con you out of money.
There are so many plastics that one primer couldn't possibly suit them all equally.
--
*I can see your point, but I still think you're full of shit.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:36:18 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Just had an email from the manufacturer (In Italian!) and it is made from ABS.
Will normal paint stick to ABS?
sponix
s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:

Car spray paint works quite well on ABS but try a small area first as some paint will dissolve ABS
Owain
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:46:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@email.com (s--p--o--n--i--x) wrote:

I expect so, AFAIK only 'waxy' plastics like PVC, uPVC need special treatment.
cheers, Pete.
Pete C wrote:

Mmm. Polyolefins. More polythene than PVC.
Thers stiff available in the model airplane trade called - PRYMOL. it is a solvent with something in it - wiped over SOME plastics it acts as an etch primer - the surface becomes minutely rough to the touch - and allows greasy plastic films to take paint.
I have not tried it on PVC bit it works well on polyesters.

No - ordinary oil paint sticks very well to PVC. Polythene is the stuff that doesn't take paint easily.
--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:19:42 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Oops, that's the one...
cheers, Pete.
     snipped-for-privacy@email.com (s--p--o--n--i--x) writes:

For the oil based gloss paints, you normally use top coat only on plastic drainpipes.
--
Andrew Gabriel

s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:

I have slapped on house paint - sandtex - on mine and its still sticking after three years...