Piggin Argos again!

After the keyed alike mailbox incident I'm not buying another thing from this bunch of muppets.

SWMBO did however, a self assembly work station for her new PC. Four separate items were completely missing, unit couldn't be assembled without them - not talking screws or cam joints here, components specific to the unit.

Then I worked for a lady today, installing a monoblock mixer she had bought from Argos. Bolts & shaped washer listed on diagram, not in the box.

As much use as a back pocket in a sock.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've never had any problem. I'd suspect the management at the Medway Argos...I don't think it's that typical (I use the Canterbury, Ramsgate and Margate stores depending on which is most convenient).

Bob Eager

I don't know why people go to these places...

Reply to
Andy Hall

Presumably it is their suppliers who are letting them down as I don't suppose Argos pack the individual items. They should get more strict with them and impose financial penalties for failures. At present they probably assume that just replacing a faulty item is all that is needed to wash the problem away.

Reply to
John

Hey, what a good idea. :-)

Great place to store your money if going out to get ratted.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Condoms.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Mmm... so a possible solution is to hit them in the pocket - e.g. compensation for costs in returning to the store.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've a feeling it's often down to their generous returns policy. And not having someone check those returns properly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Personally, I'm very glad we have poeple like you in our society. You attract all the million-to-one chances of bad luck. Leaving the rest of us to lead normal, happy lives where we can use Argos, MFI and other low cost stores in the knowledge that all the crap is going to happen to some other punter. Keep up the good work :-)

Reply to
Peter Lynch

Socks with little zippered pockets, big enough for a key and a credit card or folded cash, are sold for travellers and joggers - .

Reply to
S Viemeister

The lady with the monoblock tap recounted the tale of a TV remote she bought there. One of the 'does it all thingys'. It came with a card so you could fill in which channel was activated by which button - the card had already been filled in.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Or it could be that I take more chances. Only the bad bits are news.

I'd absolutely hate to lead a 'normal' life.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I bought a DECT phone from them which had obviously been repackaged. The giveaway being the batteries not in the usual vacuum pack. Luckily it was complete and working.

IKEA are as bad.

I've got very mixed feelings about some returns policies after the product has obviously been used. Different if faulty or returned unopened. With lots of things it's impossible to check it's complete in the shop when buying.

It's a great idea for things like tiles or wallpaper where you can buy more than enough then return the excess - but those would be unopened. Some seem to make a hobby out of buying things they have no intention of keeping and returning them after having a play.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't think so.

They make a big song and dance about that and they do take almost anything back for a refund/replacemnet without a quibble.

And then just stick a bit of sellotape on the open box and put it back onto the shelf to be resold. Eventually some punter will buy it and not bring it back, it's not "British" to complain after all.

I've had similar, obvious customer returns sold as new stock, from DSG Retail Limited companies (Dixons, Currys, PC World, The Link, PartMaster, Microwarehouse and probably others). I didn't think that Argos stooped that low, I shall now check everything in store if the makers seals look disturbed.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think it really does depend on how well the individual store is managed. This is usually the case with any store - the customer experience can be vastly different depending on the overall management.

The Argos that Dave uses (Chatham High Street?) may just need a better manager.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I tried on a suit in C&A once. I found some paper in the inside pocket.....it was a best man's wedding speech!

Reply to
Tim Decker

Strood Retail Park :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ah, well, Strood. That's it then...! :-)

(spent 2 hours getting home from Pembroke tonight - usually takes 40 mins. Bloody French.)

Reply to
Bob Eager

The only place this happened to me was Habitat. So Argos stoop as low as Habitat. I don't think you can pick one from another!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Don't miss Staples - they certainly used to be chock full of returned computer stuff being sold 'as new'.

They seem to have a policy that allows customers to take stuff home and use it for 14 days and then return it for a full refund even if used. We were offered this on a colour laser printer and they would rather do this than produce even a single sample sheet. Of course, by the time someone has taken it home (or to the office), set it up, started using the consumables, run off as many prints as they can within 14 days and returned it, it really is no longer new.

Reply to
Rod