SOT: Argos Habitat clock

I have a Habitat radio-controlled clock purchased from Argos that seems to be permanently one minute 'fast'. I assume the problem will lie with the alignment of the hands. Has anyone tried dismantling such a clock to adjust the hands? I think there are six screws.

Reply to
Scott

For a quick check on alignment, remove the battery for a while and then replace it. All the radio-controlled clocks (with hands) that I have seen, then turn them automatically to 12 o'clock and wait for a period (often to the end of the hour, but sometimes some hours later), before setting themselves.

Reply to
SteveW

True of digital clocks too, although all those I have take only a few minutes to synchronise.

However, sometimes things go wrong without sensible explanation. I have an old Junghans Mega Solar watch which has lost the ability to receive, or act on, the DCF77 radio signal. It's gaining a couple of seconds a month using its internal crystal, but I can live with that. What makes no sense is that the watch has a day-date LCD display, and although it shows the correct day (Thursday today), the date it shows is always one day ahead (so it's showing 26 today)! I don't know exactly when it started doing this, but it must have been a few months ago. It hasn't responded to DCF77 for a couple of years.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I have done this, and it is still one minute fast. Can I take out all the screws, push the minute hand back by one minute then put the screws back again. Has anyone with this Argos (Habitat) clock tried this?

Reply to
Scott

On most clocks, the hands just pull off and push back on. Get it to reset to 12 o'clock, remove the battery, take the minute hand off and replace it at 12.

Reply to
SteveW

+1
Reply to
Chris Hogg

Thanks. The clock has a face so I woulk need to take out six screws and hope it is capable of being reassembled after that. I could return it under warranty but I suspect they may not accept this is a manufacturing fault (and the replacement might be the same).

Reply to
Scott

Return it under warranty and get another one. A clock based on atomic accuracy shouldn’t permanently be one minute out.

Reply to
Spike

Thanks, everyone. In the end I just took out the six screws and adjusted the hands (at 12.00) as I have had it for several weeks now, I don't have the packaging and I think a one minute discrepancy might be seen as trivial by Argos.

Reply to
Scott