Mains clock running fast

We have a clock that has a synchronous motor that is intended to run on 50Hz mains. It skips 5 or 10 minutes fast sometimes. I looked up this problem and was advised that noise on the power supply could cause the clock to be wrong (but only by a tiny amount). Before I taking the clock apart, I decided to plug my power measuring device in to the power point, and got a reading of 158 volts and 32 Hz. It is supposed to be 237 v and 50 Hz! Since the clock had been plugged into the power point for over 30 years I pushed the plug in and out a few times and got the correct readings. I think there was corrosion in the contacts. However the clock still keeps skipping ahead. The minute hand keeps in step with the hour hand so I don't think the hands are slipping. The clock has earlier had an accident where it fell off the wall 3 metres onto to a concrete floor. The adjustment spindle at the bottom broke off, so I made a new part on the huge lathe out of a 1/4'" bolt turned down to 1/16" on the lathe. I am amazed that it didn't break! I now suspect that a cog in the clockwork is skipping teeth. So that is next weekend''s job, unless anyone has brilliant suggestions. I think I need a lathe 100 times smaller now that I seem to be fixing so many clocks. I have uploaded pictures of all this but they seem to have vanished. I cannot see where to put my user name and password. So this probably won't work!
replying to MattyF, MattyF wrote: These are the pictures that have already gone somewhere else.
On 06/11/2019 09:44, MattyF wrote:

Usually such clocks keep very good time long term although they can be very slightly slow in the evening and fast in the early morning as mains 50Hz is guaranteed as a long term average but is load dependant.

I suggest you throw away your power tester then. Anything outside of 50+/-1Hz and 230+/-15 would be very unusual.

Skipping ahead is unusual. Can you tell if it happens when the minute (and/or hour) hand is on its way down the face? ie gravity assisted.

The bump might well have taken something out of alignment or chipped a tooth. Whenever I have had trouble with synchronous motor clocks it has been running slow or stopping because of worn teeth on the gears.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Might it be easier to simply replace the guts with a battery quartz movement? Unless rare and expensive - if such a synchronous clock exists.
--
*HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A CIVIL WAR?

One thing I would also check is the actual wire fixings in the point its plugged into. I've had funny things going on on clock points in the past with daft measurements, and the wires under the screws on one half or the other had worked loose and since there was not much current, the arcing did not weld it together or set fire to the house! Brian
--
----- --

I quite like the synchronous electric clocks, usually in Bakelite and really not expensive for a "collectible" but useful item. They can be a pain to get restarted though, not sure if this is down to sticky oil or grease on the gears ? I usually earth them when rewiring.

All I remember of them was they usually got noisy with age. And not a pleasant noise.
Do have a couple of mains clocks here - but they're LED. One in the bedroom - large digits so easy to read even at my ripe old age.
--
*I can see your point, but I still think you're full of shit.

Or throw the whole thing away and replace it with a radio controlled one? I picked up one in a CPC sale several years ago and IIRC it's only needed a couple of battery replacements since. Saves faffing around at clock change time.
On 06/11/2019 20:33, newshound wrote:

That could rather go against the spirit of the owners, especially if - as I thought probable - the clock is at MOTAT.
--
Robin
On 06/11/2019 20:55, Robin wrote:

Yes, you ought to have a Congreve Rolling Ball clock... that would be a project!
Welcome back Matty - but please ditch HoH!
Andy
On Thu, 07 Nov 2019 21:43:43 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

I first found out about them in a Nevil Shute book - Trustee from the Toolroom I think. Always wanted one.
Very inaccurate, though!
On 08/11/2019 00:12, Bob Eager wrote:

I read that many years ago. I must see if I can get hold of it again.

My bodged together, much simplified version at school came third in the class for accuracy ... not that any of them were accurate :)
SteveW
My advice is to ditch Home owner club and use a real usenet client and use Dropbox for your pictures and paste the public link in with the trailing 0 set to a 1.
I won't see it, but most will, and many people here won't reply to Home owners club Usenet exported messages due to their portal software being basically crappy.
I would say about your clock yes well clocks do wear out and missing or worn teeth are a fact of life. Another common one is they suddenly start going backwards, due to the motor stalling due to damaged gears and then starting up the wrong way. The little ratchet kicker that normally stops this does have a habit of not working if its been in a greasy kitchen for a few years. Why not treat yourself to a nice radio controlled clock? Brian
--
----- --
replying to Brian Gaff (Sofa 2), MattyF wrote: I think the clock has suffered from its fall. The second hand appears to be loose and may sometimes be touching the other hands (but never when I am watching it). If I can't fix it easily someone can buy a new clock. But it is a nice clock. I have recently fixed the clock outside by the tram stop. It needs to be wound every 7 days. It was stopping because of rust on the two mainsprings. That was probably why the other two clocks stopped working. I found Tim's message on HomeOwnersHub, and this seems easier than Usenet that died on me 5 years ago.
On Friday, November 8, 2019 at 6:14:06 PM UTC+13, MattyF wrote:

be

t is

wound

t was

that

running-fast-1392027-.htm
Hi Matty, great to see you back here. We new more real DIY and less politic s here!
Regarding HOH, it really is an abomination. It only exists to generate inco me for the site owner, not to provide a useful service. There are so many t hings wrong with it I'm not sure where to start.
If you don't want to use a dedicated usenet client, google groups is better than HOH, but a proper newsreader is the best option. I believe Thunderbir d is supposed to be okay. Plenty of free news servers like Eternal Septembe r if you don't want to pay. Anyway, here's the link to this thread in googl e groups.
https://groups.google.com/forum/m /#!topic/uk.d-i-y/0DnGZdig08c
Many thanks for the tour earlier this week! I love places like MOTAT and it 's always interesting to put a face to a name on the internet. Currently in Rotorua.
Tim
On Friday, 8 November 2019 05:14:06 UTC, MattyF wrote:

if all else fails a new large hands mechanism could run it.

bad decision. This is usenet anyway.
NT
On Wednesday, 6 November 2019 09:44:05 UTC, MattyF wrote:

A bad contact would explain the low v reading, but 32hz means your tester is basically junk, at least as far as measuring f goes.
I've had a simlar experience with a 1970s quartz clock, very puzzling. No idea what's causing your problem.
Most regulars here have the website you're using blocked. Google groups is vastly better, much as it gets criticised. And re pic uploads, please use anything other than dripbox, it's so awful I frequently just don't bother to look.
NT
On Thursday, November 7, 2019 at 12:54:07 PM UTC+13, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Any possibility that there could be enough sub-50Hz noise in the power supply to the clock to cause a spurious reading (and to upset a synchronous clock)?
Tim