Cooker extractor hoods with remote motors

Exactly what I did when the motor packed up on mine. Ditched the motor & fan, wired the hood switch to the new remote fan, kept the switch & power to the hood lights.

New inline fan off eBay iirc 40 quid, mounted mid way along the duct in my case, very quiet as in next store room to hood, very good extract rate.

Only thing I couldn't be arsed working out was how the 3 speed controller on the hood worked - to see if I could use that with the new fan -but I just have it set to "on" or "off" & it's so quiet it doesn't really matter, it just works.

Reply to
Jimk

Having now decided on the WC extractor (thanks to PeterC) it's time to tackle the next problem. My cooker is set into what was once the kitchen fireplace. To reduce noise in the kitchen I plan to fit a S/S box (about 1100 x 300), with appropriate filters, in the space above the cooker and to extract (horizontally) through the side chimney breast and a 90 degree bend, then through the wall to the outside world. The ducting run would be 1-2 metres and there are no neighbours to worry about. It would be great to hear from anyone who has done something similar. The decisions are whether to have an externally-mounted fan or an in-line fan, where to buy, and whether the S/S plenum is available or whether it needs to be bespoke. Google has turned-up a few possible candidates but opinions based on personal experience are always useful.

Reply to
nothanks

I used an Elicia ? fan designed for external mounting , this came with the standard canopy/filters/lights and switches which were installed above the cooker in the kitchen fireplace. I mounted the fan in the chimneyflue at 1st floor level accessing the flue through the redundant bedroom/study fireplace. Ducting, 6", below and above the fan. I used quite a lot of sound insulation around the fan on the mounting plate and on the access hatch in the fireplace. Worked very well, flow rates were very high and noise levels low in the kitchen and very low in the study. The house was Georgian with large flues which made it relatively easy to do.

Reply to
Robert

Thanks, that's very interesting. The nearest name I can find is Elica, but they don't seem to list an external fan. Do you have any more info on the one you found?

Reply to
nothanks

I installed an extractor over the cooking area with two vents in the ceiling and a remote extractor which vented to the outside.

I have an "extractor bay" in the ceiling of the downstairs wet room with extractors for the kitchen, wet room, and a failed experiment to move hot air from the back of the house to the front.

The ceiling extractor works well, but is very rarely needed as the wall mounted cooker hood seems to cope with most things.

It helps that there are steels which go across and along in a T shape which make the ceiling of the kitchen area in the open plan room into a massive cooker hood.

Co-axial fans which look quite like an American football.

So the ducting is probably similar but no stainless steel box.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

ELIBLOC9 Built In/Under Hood Grey with External Motor Unit I removed the fan unit from the nice external housing, which is now used as a heat shield when soldering , and made my own mounting plate up using heavy ply. I seem to remember that having an external fan also meant that the canopy/hood, which is not as high as the with fan units , was easier to fit above the cooker in the limited chimney space while providing the minimum clearance above the gas hob.

Reply to
Robert

Thanks again. I need something in the 90-120cm range so, unfortunately, that particular model is too small and the larger one has been discontinued. Other makes are ridiculously expensive (who would spend over £1k on an extractor?) but a search around eBay gave me some ideas for a custom DIY solution if I can't find something suitable off-the-peg at a sensible price.

Reply to
nothanks

Pity about the larger sizes , I used the 75cm one. However if the fireplace is quite deep and high you would probably find the smaller unit perfectly adequate, with the enclosed fireplace acting a bit like a hood. You may be able to "box" the top front in a bit with a mantleshelf. Another option is to get a cheap canopy , remove the fan motor and use a duct fan at the end of the ducting. You sometimes get damaged units on eBay. Good Luck

Reply to
Robert

We wanted a ceiling extractor and did quite a bit of research and these people were the cheapest by far. I am just in the process of installing it so cannot comment on durability and function, domestic management is happy with the way it looks!

Only niggle so far is the use of some of the tiniest securing screws available plus it is heavy and I needed to construct a support framework to help get it into position.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

t The bakery industry uses a lot of these so perhaps a trawl through website that handle disposal of bakery equipment might turn up something.

We us Miele extractor hood and don't find it noisy. To get satisfactory extraction I had to route the trunking out through a boiler house Metal trunkimh obviouslu

Reply to
billyorange007

Sorry hit publish too soon. My keyboarding skills are minimal

I also wanted to say I used 150mm trunking as advised by Miele. Most 100mm trunking, especially the flexible type, is not great in my experience. We find the extractor really excellent and I think part of that is down to the 150mm trunking

Reply to
billyorange007

I think you've been reading my mind ;-)

Reply to
nothanks

It should be easy enough. Our cooker hood just consists of a casing which holds a filter on a drop down panel and inside is a plastic moulded fan housing (exhausting through either the top or the back depending where you put the flange and the blanking plate), the motor and a light. Remove that and add an LED lamp and you'd have a filter housing ready for connection to a duct and in-line fan.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker