Cooker hoods

Threats have been issued about finishing the annexe kitchen before Christmas!

I am now in the market for a cooker hood that can be ducted/recirc.

Googling brought me to an Indesit H573LIX however the site does not explain how one adapts from the large rectangular chimney to a conventional tubular duct.

Has anyone experience of this?

Everyone and his dog seems to sell this model but I have been unable to find it on the Indesit site or any detail other than a front view:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I don't know about this particular one, but my impression is that the large rectangular duct on most hoods is a dummy - which has a circular flexible duct inside, ready for taking out through a wall or ceiling.

Reply to
Roger Mills

In article , Tim Lamb writes

Fight back and fabricate something rustic from fireproof cement panels and visible, flexible aluminium ducting. Then, the other half will be grateful for anything better you replace it with.

Also, think of the comedy value come Christmas time, visitors will be invited on a tour and informed, "this is what I asked Tim for and THIS is what he gave me!". It never does any harm to manage expectations ;-).

I know you said recirc but don't bother, you'd be better off just punching a hole in a window/wall and sticking in a 30quid extractor and forgetting the hood

Reply to
fred

In message , fred writes

Hmm.. The one in the main kitchen is integrated, gathers incredibly sticky grease, is a pig to clean but otherwise works well. The new job is along a partition wall so I hoped to disguise the duct inside a cupboard. It could possibly go up and then out through the loft/soffit but this is a raised tie ceiling so would need extending.

I'm already in trouble having failed the time expectation, why seek more?

Maybe. The feature is available for not much money. Nice to have the option not to chuck that heat out the window.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There is no point having a cooker hood if it doesn't chuck the moisture out. Don't forget,you need to let air in to enable it to function. I have a fan which blows air in when the hood is on. And don't forget an extractor hood can draw combustion gases/smoke down any chimneys any where in the house.

Reply to
harryagain

On Wednesday 27 November 2013 17:54 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I disagree - the fact that a decent hood will trap much of the grease is worth it.

Then your ventilation for rooms containing a fire is wrong.

There are complications vis-a-vis extractor fans in the same room as a non balanced flue, but no way should an extractor in one room affect a flue in another.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If an internal door is open why not? If you create a depression within any house with any sort of fan, no chimney is likely to function.

Reply to
harryagain

They seem much of a muchness to me: after all, they just suck air out.

What has made a difference is using a remote motor, which cuts down the noise. Obviously, it does depend upon whether you have a convenient place to site it. Our garage (ha, workshop!) is next to the kitchen, so the ducting passes through that.

Reply to
Jon Connell

Did you have to enclose it with a fire barrier?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Hmmm, good question. The motor came with an enclosure and wall mounting, so I'll confess I didn't give that a thought!

Reply to
Jon Connell

Yes.

The shower room has a remote fan assembly in the loft. Much quieter than through the wall which faces a busy lane.

No one has yet explained how you adapt the rectangular chimney to circular duct?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes they have. Roger Mills told you.

If you download the manual from

you will see that he is correct. Inside the large rectangular chimney is a conventional tubular duct.

Reply to
Andy

On Thursday 28 November 2013 08:29 Jon Connell wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Dishwashable stainless grease filters will be a must have on my next one.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ah, I hadn't realised that was an option. Or maybe I just chuck them in the dishwasher regardless ;-)

Reply to
Jon Connell

If I understand your description, you have drilled a hole through the wall between your kitchen and garage.

Others may quote chapter and verse, but ISTM that you really need to fit a suitable barrier enclosing both fan and ducting as it passes through the garage, in order to restore the necessary protection.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Correct.

I'll look it up. Thanks for the warning.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Connell

On Thursday 28 November 2013 13:41 Jon Connell wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Prolly something like this:

Tim Watts

Ah! Now why couldn't I find it when I looked?

Thanks both.

Presumably you have to opt for re-circ or extract on a permanent basis.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In article , Tim Watts writes

In this case I'd be more inclined to box the duct in with 2 layers of

12mm plasterboard, cheaper, less susceptible to damage and IMV more likely to work in a real fire. Using a flexible aluminium duct will stop a cooker fire passing to the garage space too.
Reply to
fred

Yes you would, although you can convert from one to the other at a later date.

To me an extractor should perform the following.

Trap the grease in the air, extract heat, extract steam and extract cooking smells.

The re-circ method will do the first and, with charcoal filters (optional on the Indesit), it will do the last (but not very well). It won't do the other two.

I would strongly recommend going for the extract method.

We have an older model of one of these -

- and it works a treat.

I would suggest that looking at the manual you might need to buy some bits (the shopping trolley in some of the pictures on page 2 of the manual) for it to be used in re-circ mode, but maybe it depends on where you buy it from.

Reply to
Andy