Repost: Washing machine motor brushes

I've got a machine like this

've replaced the brushes many times, always with ones on the left in the following picture
one in the centre and on the right I have just recieved via Ebay. Here are the the three again in profile
plastic carriers look similar, but the metal inserts and the carbons themselves are fatter and I am worried that they will damage the armature if I fit them. Described as Hotpoint / Creda Carbon Brushes & Holder What do you think?

Reply to
Graham.

I think it would be much easier if you took the picture from the same angle so we could see the difference...

Reply to
PCPaul

eh, IIRC the photos are of three brushes two of the new and one of the old. The brass carrier is larger in the new and I think this means the thickness of the brush is a bit larger as well. This may mean that there is a larger contact area. If the motor just has slip rings then thats not a problem if it has a slotted commutator it might be.

It's hard to tell if the width is the same. If they are wider they won't match the wear on the slip rings or commutator very well but I suspect they'd bed in fairly quickly.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice