Washing machine motor

I need to get a replacement drum motor for my washing machine (Zanussi). I have located a replacement on line but was wondering if it usual for the motor to come with brushes or would they have to be purchased separately? Just for info, the problem is a very noisy motor caused by the brushes clicking at a certain point on the armature. There appears to be a very slightly raised section where the burshes make contact which causes each brush to click once every revolution. I can't find a replacement armature so the motor complete will have to be changed. Any washing machine spares type sites would be appreciated so as I can get a comparison. Thanks.

Reply to
Wainscotting

I would assume that a new motor would come complete with brushes!

Before replacing the motor, have you tried taking the armature out and cleaning it up with emery cloth? This just might do the trick - but clean off any grit left by the emery cloth before putting it back into the motor!

There used to be a place in Birmingham where you could get replacement armatures for domestic appliances. I don't know whether it's still there, but it's likely that there are similar places in other parts of the country. May be worth a trawl through the Yellow Pages.

Reply to
Set Square

Thanks - I will have a look.

Reply to
Wainscotting

complete

The new motor would definitely come with brushes, but cleaning the armature with emery cloth is not a good idea, there are special cleaning sticks for these armatures, and they are much smoother than emery. In this case it would not make any difference, because one of the segments has broken from its mounting, and it is this that is making the clicking.

Reply to
Gavin Gillespie

Or even file off the raised bit, very carefully of course...

Reply to
BillR

Motors comne with brushes.

You can often get new brushes for an old motor, and just polish up the commutator by spinning it and applying emery paper etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Careful with the spinning and holding emery paper onto the commutator. If you were to spin it with an electric drill or whatever it would be quite happy to turn into a generator.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

In message , PoP writes

What, without the static windings around it ?

Reply to
geoff

That may be reparable with epoxy, but indeed, a new motor is simpler. I re-motored a favorite cylinder vac cleaner and it did another 12 years on the newer and more powerful motor. I think the motor was around 15 squids.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Did I say something goofy? Sorry if I did....

PoP

Reply to
PoP

I know what you meant PoP. You didn't mention removing the armature from the motor at all.

Reply to
BigWallop

In message , BigWallop writes

So did I, but I couldn't let that one go by

Reply to
geoff

Got it! Sorry about that, swimming in a pond which has alligators in it at the moment and inclined to hit the reply button a bit too quickly..... ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

That tv ad gets me..... I still can't comprehend that they found some fool willing to do a bungy jump down to a pool with a crocodile in it, just for the sake of advertising. It actually looks like the croc sees him coming, and nearly has him.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Talking of TV ads, most pass me by without problem but I just caught sight of one a few minutes ago. Yellow Pages had done a good one (for me anyhow).

Dad chops off daughters hair to save some money. Wife comes in to be met with a horrible mess. Dad says it's the fault of the hairdressers, he's waiting to speak to the manager.

Next scene, Mum outside in car clearly visible. Dad, with daughter, waving his arms about shouting his head off (for his wife's benefit outside) in hairdressers found in Yellow Pages, pleading with the female assistant to sort out the mess. Assistant looks horrified at the commotion because the guy is going do-lally saying nice things. Dad finishes by shouting "I'll pay you double if you can sort this one out!".

Had me in stitches. One of those really simple adverts which probably didn't cost very much to make :)

PoP

Reply to
PoP