ready mix

Hi all

surprised to see next door take a delivery of ready mix this lunch time for a conservatory base

It has not got above freezing today and the temp for tonight is -3

What effect will this have on the concrete?

Tony

Reply to
TMC

In article , TMC scribeth thus

It'll take longer to go off...

Reply to
tony sayer

None if it is covered up. Concrete generates warmth as it sets - a major problem on massive structures like dams.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Yes, I went on a tour of the massive Hoover Dam near Las Vegas last year; among the zillions of fascinating factoids thrown at us was one that they when built it back in the thirties, they embedded the concrete structure with miles of piping through which refrigerated water was pumped, in order to keep the heat down and the project on schedule.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Driving up the M1 J7-J9 over last few cold months, several large steaming new concrete structures can be seen on cold nights.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm laying four cubes of it tomorrow so I'll let you know !

Reply to
Phil L

FWIW is was talking to the manager of a mixing plant yesterday and asked if they had any problems with demand and temp, i.e. were their blokes lying around idle when it was below freezing and his answer was that it never affects the demand they deliver as much in all weathers. And he ought to know been there man and boy .. or even before that;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

You'll need some savlon when you're finished.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

Teehee

It was laid wednesday and we've got the block/brick work up to DPC level today, not bad going considering we only started on Monday

Reply to
Phil L