Ready mix mortar

Using Jewson's ready mix mortar with plastcizer for pointing old sandstone shed and colour of mortar is a light brownish. That's ok but lady up the road is wanting to point her cottage but her pointing is a white colour. Is there anything that we can add to make this stuff whiter or is there an alternative product. We are in a remote spot and don't have access to many suppliers.

T.I.A snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net put a dot between us and mail please if replying off forum

Reply to
Paddy

Her cottage may be lime mortar, in which case you mustn't repoint with ordinary cement based mortar. Lime mortar sets to form chalk, which is why it's often (but not always) white. This should be looked at by someone with experience of lime building before anyone starts repointing it. Any idea how old the cottage is?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Baz

Reply to