ready to use mortar?

I know my query is probably going to sound a bit ridiculous: is there any way of storing ready mixed mortar? It would be ideal if surplus mortar could be stored in an airtight container for a few extra days and ready to use for the many odd jobs of a renovating project. I am aware there are many types of fillers in the market which might answer my question but these are quite expensive compared to mortar and require a different approach which might not be very practical sometimes.

Thanks for any hint....

Alex.

Reply to
Alex

Not a chance, I'd'a thought. Mortar doesn't "dry out", nor react with atmospheric oxygen, to set: it's a (slow) chemical reaction driven by bringing the cement component into contact with the water in your mix. You can slow the reaction down by reducing the temperature, but freezing your mixed-up mortar will najjer it too (ice crystals'll form, distributing the water unevenly-clumpily in the mix).

If the quantities you're mixing up are for "filler" purposes, just use smaller measures - e.g. 4 old-mugs sand, 2 old-mugs cement, 1 old-mug lime, or whaetver proportion the mix needs to be - for each part of the job, rather than the bucket-loads more usually appropriate.

HTH - Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Not that I know of. But there's no law which says you have to make up mortar by the barrowload; I've often made up tiny amounts for very small jobs and it works perfectly well. Not really much less convenient than having it ready mixed (especially if you 'batch' your jobs).

However, there are several proprietary exterior-grade fillers available ready-mixed in tubs, which would probably fulfil most applications for mortar, if this aspect is really important to you.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Portland cement doesn't rely on drying out or exposure to air to harden, so it will go off no matter how you store it (unless you freeze it, but I think that migh not be too convenient). Lime mortar can be stored if you keep it damp and exclude air, but probably won't be suitable for your application.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Proper ready mixed mortar delivered to large sites is ok for a couple days. You just need to remix and its ok.

Reply to
Space_Cowby

Do you mean dry mixed (just sand and cement) or wet mixed (including the water)?

Wet mixed mortar will go off whatever - so there's no way of keeping it for later use.

You might get away with a dry mixture - but even that is dodgy. Unless the sand used is 100% dry, any moisture in it will react with the cement and render it useless.

I know from bitter experience, having tried to save time by producing a dry mix for use the next day. I didn't realise that the resulting mortar was useless until I had built a section of wall with it - which I had to take down and start again. I only did it once!

Reply to
Set Square

In message , Alex writes

As other posts, generally no. However, I did once have a one of those bags of pre-packed mortar from the DIY sheds, which rather than the usual bag of sand with small bag of cement inside, was actually kiln dried sand & cement premixed, so you could as little as required just be adding the water.

Actually, I'd rather like to be able buy cement in small plastic bags, maybe 2.5 or 5kG at a time, as you can with plaster.

2.5kg for 99p would be fine by me. Otherwise I end up buying 25kg bags down the BM and dumping a rock hard 20Kg bag 6 months later. (Yes, right now I need just enough cement to stick 1.5 ridge tiles back on, and my left over bag from last summer has gone off)
Reply to
Steven Briggs

If you get to it a little before it goes rock hard, and you need have a soil that's overly acid, you can spread a thin layer over the soil, and rake it in. (even "rock hard" on the surface will often come apart if you use a small hammer)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

B&Q do small (5kg ?) ones. Totally uneconomic if you need even two of them but fits your needs.

Reply to
Mike

Oh dear....I await caustic responses with interest.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It ain't.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote | > is there any way of storing ready mixed mortar? | Oh dear....I await caustic responses with interest.

I don't think adding caustic is going to help here. It's great for blocked pipes though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Whilst this isn't ready mixed as in with added water,

seems a great idea for use on larger sites. I've certainly seen it in use by a number of large construction firms locally.

Alex (another one)

Reply to
Alex (YMG)

You could try freeze drying it.