OT Does anyone here have a tiscali web page?

Sorry, this is completely OT here but people are so helpful and someone is sure to know.

I am trying to get a webpage onto tiscali.fr and I can't find anything in the help pages in french about how to include the photos. I got the pages online easily using the tiscali website and without all the hassle I have had in the past with FTP. The links in the pages currently point to the photos location on my hard drive. I thought the pictures might be embedded in the pages (made with Front Page) but it seems they are not. I can't seem to get into the right bit of the tiscali.co.uk site to search in English. I can easily edit the links if I know how and where to upload the photos - anyone know please.

Since this is OT reply by email if you prefer:

holly1THEATSYMBOLtiscali.fr

TIA Holly

Reply to
Holly

Hi Holly,

if you have used FTP in the past, why not now ?

You are still FTP-ing the HTML to the site - even if that operation is hidden inside FrontPage ...

Personally I'm a bit of a Luddite and am reluctant to use anything cleverer than Netscape Composer, WSFTPLE and notepad for tweaking.

To get the photo references right I first FTP the JPEGs to my site, browse to them in an Explorer window and copy the whole URL into Composer and watch the preview image appear.

belt and braces ....

HTH

========================

Reply to
brugnospamsia

The clue is the use of FrontPage, FP has a tendency to link to local files as

rather than just

When the HTML source code gets FTP up to the server the src for the image is to a local hard drive and not the server IYSWIM.

The OP should check the source code to see if the above has happened, or post a link to the page so someone else can take a look.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

When you send a web page with pictures to Tiscali (or any webspace) you have to send all the picture files (probably .jpg files) to the same place as you send your html code. You have to make sure that the references in your html code to the picture files are *relative* rather than *absolute*. There should be a box to tick for relative references in whatever software (frontpage or whatever) you are using to build the site. It's safest to check the actual html code - where you should have something like:

but *not* like this:

and *not* like this:

Does this make sense? As long as you use relative references, you can move your site around easily, and the components will continue to hang together.

Reply to
Set Square

absolute is fine so long as it is a url and not a file path..

(gawd you work with raw HTML !)

==========================

There

Reply to
brugnospamsia

Yes, absolute is fine is general - when you're pointing to something which actually exists on another website. In this case though, the pictures were not on-line but were only on the OP's hard disk - so the obvious solution was to put them in the same place as the html, and use relative references. [OK, if you're being pedantic, you *could* still use absolute references even then - but they wouldn't auto-adjust if you wanted to move the whole lot somewhere else.]

So?

I actually create code using (mainly) Netscape Composer and then fine tune the raw html.

Do you have a problem with that?

Reply to
Set Square

I failed to create a website in the "free webspace" of two different ISP using Front Page. It seems FP tried to create a directory structure on the web server to deal with the 'relative' links the other posters have mentioned, and the the servers couldn't cope with it. In both cases, however, I could upload a simple page with FTP. When I attempted to "publish" the same web pages with Front Page on a third ISP's server that

*was* equipped with "Front Page Server Extensions" it worked first time with no trouble. I always thought you only needed 'extensions' for certain functions - like capturing input from the client browser into a contact form, or similar - but it seems like you must have Front Page Extensions on the web server for it to work at all. Alternatively, you must use a different program from Front Page to publish your pages.
Reply to
Mike Faithfull

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 20:07:32 -0000, "Set Square" strung together this:

I thought most people did that? I use Dreamweaver and switch between design and source views to tweak bits that you can't do with a click of the mouse.

Reply to
Lurch

A tip I was given by Someone_Who_Knows_These_Things is to make sure everything you need for the website is stored in the directory where you are building your web on the local machine. For example C:\mywebs\websitename might contain your pages, so make a sub-directory C:\mywebs\websitename\images and put all your pictures in there. Then, when FP 'publishes' your web up to the server, it will upload the \images subdirectory and all the pictures. (You might still need Front Page Extensions though!)

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

Hi :-)

ISTR having trouble getting my head around it last time, and also because this poor old computer has very little space on the hard drive and I didnt want to risk upsetting an old but stable Win98SE installation by installing extra software.

I had already given up on publishing using FrontPage when it started going on about Server Extensions, as Mike Faithfull described in his message. The tiscali website has a "WebFTP" section which doesn't need extra software here, so I was using that but got stuck when it came to the pictures. Anyway I seem to have worked it out now, although the way I am editing the links is a bit long winded and I am sure there are easier ways, but it will probably be quicker to continue as I am than to try learn new tricks at this stage :-)

Another thing I have discovered is that the tiscali WebFTP has a button one can press to check that links are valid, which is most useful.

Thanks again to everyone, I'll post the link to the site when it is finished, including the picture of the water stains on the oak and the finished staircase. Holly

Reply to
Holly