Quarter of Homebases to close

Yes are you ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Are you certain the Nectar points make up for the high prices? I'd be surprised if they did. Of course it also depends on how much it costs you to get to an alternative.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I find thirty somethings have no DIY skills whatsoever. Not complaining.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Most can't even assemble flatpack.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Have you considered that the 30-somethings you meet professionally might not be representative of EVERY 30-something?

That age is often the peak of career progression, mixed in with having a social life and/or small children - so often cash-rich/time-poor. Not exactly a combination that encourages even the DIY-competent if there's the option of a cheap and low-hassle tradesman (that's you) flopping a flyer through the letterbox.

Reply to
Adrian

I'm pretty sure they'll cost more than that.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I think you should google sample bias. :)

Reply to
GB

Which of our two Homebases are they going to close? Or will it be both of them? We have them both, with an Argos in-between, on what is more or less one road. Visits to them, always low, have fallen year by year for us.

If precedent means anything, Focus became Matalan.

Reply to
polygonum

It _does_ look like it. :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good

My italian colleagues seem to have much more of a have-a-go approach to DIY :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

My chinese niece-in-law can do all that stuff...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Undoubtedly - they go on my partner's card, which makes her happy.

Reply to
Nightjar

we have one Homebase with an Argo two doors away in the same retail park. Argos is fairly new there, They have had an in town site for years.

Reply to
charles

In message , Robin writes

(e) In some parts of the country, younger people can no longer afford to buy their own homes, so they are renting. You don't do much DIY in rented property.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

IIRC Focus Penrith became Wickes.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Assemble it with the 5 year old. And if they're 2... wait 3 years :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

They wouldn't be a. I agree that money-rich/time-poor is a real issue for many by the time they can afford to buy (and I suspect the TMH's rates would have his hand bitten off in London); and b. there are always exceptions - like the late-20s/early-30s guy near us who last month dug out the collapsed retaining wall for the c.3 foot drop at the bottom of his garden, including a 20 foot tree, and poured a new one in reinforced concrete over a foot thick. He's a city slicker too - but one who grew up on a farm!

Reply to
Robin

So the thirty-somethings who do call in a handyman don't have any DIY skills, what about the rest?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Texas became Homebase

Reply to