Quarter of Homebases to close

Texas was bought by Homesbase. Slight difference. The nearest Focus to here is now an Asda.

Reply to
charles

Have to admit ... I never think of going to Homebase for anything, wife occasionally buys some plants.

Reply to
rick

I remember the 'Texas Tom' advert on LBC Radio.

The present High Wycombe Staples was Focus.

High Wycombe has two Homebases - the ex-Texas one at Loudwater, at the eastern extremity (one-and-a-half floors), and another (ground floor only, but I'm sure, more floor area) a mile-and-a-half away, further into town. Halfway between the two, there is a pretty large B&Q and a Wickes - both of which are usually distinctly cheaper than Homebase. Neither Homebase can be described as overly busy - in fact the Loudwater one is usually pretty quiet. I reckon it will be one of those that will go.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

En el artículo , Theo Markettos escribió:

translation: they're up to their eyeballs in debt and sales aren't covering the rent on their big expensive stores or the debt repayments.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

There's even have an unofficial website ...

Andy Burns

Unfortunately, there's only the home page. The rest is 'Not Found'. No link to LBC Radio's advert.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

When Focus closed, the premises it was in became Matalan.

I *thought* that those premises were Payless before Focus took them over. Did Focus have another shop in HW?

Reply to
polygonum

Clearly, I am talking about the 30-somethings I meet, I haven't carried out a nationwide survey. Have you?

The comments are usually "I'm hopeless at DIY" or "my partner is hopeless at DIY".

That isn't me. I'm not cheap and I don't flop flyers through letter boxes. I am hassle free.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm pretty sure they didn't. However, there was a Jewsons (IIRC, just off the West Wycombe road). It's now shown on the Cressex estate.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Jessops until very recently were just off Hughenden Road - with another branch at Cressex. The old Hughenden one now knocked down.

Reply to
polygonum

The Focus in Huntingdon became a B&Q.

A Wickes also opened in the town last year (with a Toolstation), opposite Screwfix. Homebase is up the road (all similarly moderately sized shops), next to Argos, and a bit further up the road a Dunelm Mills.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Homebase go.

Reply to
Chris French

The demasculisation of the young urban male.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Homebase seems never to have had as much success as the b/Q brand. I suspect bad choices have been made in the past, and now they want to get some money and use it for something else. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That is probably because they naively try to follow the instructions.

Reply to
Nightjar

Exactly - the ones who are paying for DIYable jobs to be done.

Reply to
Adrian

A lot of DIY involves teaching yourself and learning by mistakes, many people have to work longer hours or have a lot of their day taken up traveling to work than in the past so don't get the opportunity to learn on the job while younger . By the time the children come along , often later than in the past it is much easier if you have the income to just call someone like yourself in who will have suitable tools,a knowledge of who stocks a washer that may do a pingfuckit and whose tube of gripfill hasn't gone solid in the months since you last used it . A lot of time can be lost out of some bodies 48 hour leave between Friday and Monday just getting stuff.

Good value rather than cheap then, and it's all relative . A few hours of your time may not be much more than taking the family out for the day. How do your rates compare say to spending to 90 minutes or so attending a premier league football match.?

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Our Focus became a car park. It was a significant improvement.

Reply to
Huge

Mourning becomes Electra.

Reply to
Huge

In message , at 20:56:41 on Wed, 22 Oct 2014, GMM remarked:

My closest retail shed is a Homebase, and I've used them for things which are neither quite home furnishings nor DIY - stuff like doormats, shelving units, and kitchen worktops; although sometimes they are useful for paint that's a bit more exotic than they stock at Wilko.

A couple of months ago I noticed they'd refurbished it and added an Argos collection point "coming soon" and a coffee bar. We must be nearing a coffee bar event horizon soon.

My most recent visit to a different, and much bigger, Homebase was frustrated because (a) Their paint mixing machine was broken and (b) they don't do solvent-based Satinwood any more [so I had to break down and buy from a Trade outlet].

Reply to
Roland Perry

Roughly a family of four to an EPL match with pie and drink would get TMH for a whole 8 hour day maybe a bit longer...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice