Casement Window Won't Close

Hi,

I have a casement window that won't close all the way. It gets to within half an inch, then the crank just turns and turns. It opens fine and closes fine, all the way to the end, just far enough so the latches can't grab it and close it all the way.

I have read a few articles and posts about similar problems, most suggest cleaning different parts, can this really be the cause of this problem though? I was suspect that if it wasn't operating smoothly or well, but asides from that last half inch, it works fine.

I'll probably end up taking my ladder (it's on the 2nd floor) and just closing it from the outside for now, but I would like to find a longer term solution for this.

Do I need to replace the whole mechanism??

Any help appreciated, I'm in Canada and it's getting colder up here in the great white north...

Reply to
Bob

Casement window mechanisms have the least amount of leverage to close the window at the end of its movement. However, you say it turns and turns with no movement, it sounds like the gear teeth are stripped at the end of the movement. Try to locate a brand name for the mechanism, common ones used say "Truth" for Truth Hardware, they are on the internet. The site can direct you to a local supplier who can match the mechanism to yours -- take yours off and use it to compare as there are a number of styles, sizes as well as left and right operators.

Reply to
EXT

"Bob" wrote on 26 Sep 2005:

It could be the mechanism needing adjustment or replacement, but before you make a change, do a thorough cleaning of the surfaces where the window might hit when it's closing. That includes the edges of the window as well as the exterior trim.

I have that problem on several windows, and cleaning always seems to help.

Reply to
Doug Boulter