I have a problem I hope someone can help with.
I recently rented a place and after moving in, I've discovered a
problem with the electrical system.
I believe it's a faulty breaker and the landlord should fix it,
however, someone else suggested to me that I am overloading the circuit
and should be hiring an electrician myself before expecting the
landlord to foot the bill.
I don't agree, but wondered what y'all thought.
Here's the deal: House was built in 1940s. No central air
conditioning (but there is central heat)... and I brought along my own
window unit air conditioners. All of my units are modern and in
perfect working order, for the record.
The place has 2 bedrooms downstairs, one up. The living room and
kitchen are up. The laundry room (electric dryer) is down.
I initially installed a 5000 btu window unit in the kitchen/dining
combo first, because this is where my computer is and it's where I work
8 hours a day. No problems occurred until I tried to simultaneously
run a 5000 btu window unit in the living room, which is one room over.
Five minutes after turning it on, I lost power. It had tripped a
Reset it and left the second a/c off, no problem. Then tried to
microwave something; poof, no power again.
Okay, I soon learned that I need to turn off the a/c to use any "heat
generating" or cooking appliances. I moved the microwave downstairs.
I turn the a/c off, turn everything else off, tried to make coffee AND
use a little electric skillet at the same time... again, no power.
Out of curiousity (and because it's really freakin hot), I turned off
EVERYTHING aside from the tv, and tried using my one year old 12,000
BTU (110v) window unit in the living room... again lost power.
I never lose power downstairs, only upstairs... except for recently,
when I discovered that one outlet in a downstairs bedroom will also
lose power when the breaker trips.
So, it's going to be 102 today, we live in South Central Texas, and
this place is about 1300 square feet, yet we are only able to cool the
downstairs, since we can easily run the 8000 btu unit down there, as
well as the microwave, dryer, etc., with no problems. Upstairs, it's
usually about 90 degrees even at night, since the one little a/c is NOT
going to cool the entire upper floor.
Twice when the breaker has "tripped", it's been hanging half out when
we go down to re-set it. I try very hard now to do everything I can
NOT to cause it to trip, until I can resolve this.
Thoughts on whose fault this is? Is it reasonable to expect to be able
to run an a/c and a microwave simultaneously... or am I "overloading"
The last house I lived in was older, built in 1920, and NOT updated at
all, yet I had an a/c in EACH room there (five total), and at times ran
them all at once, with no problems. Plus, I have no problems
downstairs, so I think this is a weak breaker thing and the landlord
should fix this.
Finally, if I get nowhere with this landlord, how much would I expect
to pay to get someone out here to do this for me? I am willing if I
have to, just to get it done so I can escape this loathsome heat.
Thanks, and sorry so long.