Push button flush problem

Hi have a single button loo flush which was fitted in 2007. Recently it has stopped working. On investigating, it appears that the plastic tube that operates the flush is being forced out of its "socket" for want of a better word inside the cistern area. It flushes if you hold the tube in place in the socket, but not otherwise. I wonder why this fault has suddenly developed, and is there any fix?

Reply to
Mike

glue? silicone? does it get wet?

(pic might get better answers...)

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

It does seem to be close to the surface of the water. So I should try lowering the water level?

Is there a water-resistant glue available?

Reply to
Mike

Tube hardening or deformed at the end? Is there spare length to cut the end off and use an uncrushed/un stretched bit?

Reply to
Invisible Man

IME you are better off changing it. Plastics are notoriously difficult to glue & the water won't help.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Had that problem with some fitted at church - replaces with cable operated push buttons which are much more reliable

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Mine use a rubber tube - softer and less likely to get forced off.

Reply to
robert

But is there a Screwfix fitting that will go with the rest of my system - I'm not talking decorative here, will it operate the flush thingie I have ? That's the question! Mike

Reply to
Mike

Agree push buttons are crap. Trouble is, if the hole is in the cistern lid you can't use a lever.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I foolishly fitted one a couple of years ago. Next time it fails I'm going back to a syphon.

Reply to
<me9

I dunno exactly which flush thingy you have. But the conventional system (ie lever and syphon) can't be eaten and its fail safe too if you have a water meter.

But it can't be fitted into the cistern that he has unless it has the necessary operating holes.

tim

Reply to
tim....

Yes mine is in the front, though the hole looks larger than might be needed for a conventional lever. Again, not sure a lever is going to operate my system (cistern).

Coming back to an earlier question which no one has answered, would lowering the water level in the cistern help the situation?

Reply to
Mike

Can't see it would make any difference. A picky would help a lot.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I would approach drilling a large hole in a ceramic cistern with some trepidation. How would you do that?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman