Painting window with patterned glass

Hi,

So I got nice new glass in a couple of sashes.

Glass is that obscured patterned stuff for privacy - there's a sort of 'leaf & flower' pattern and 1 side feels like it is quite finely grooved (guess the grooves are what makes it obscured ?)

Carefully undercoat *just* covering the new putty.

Step back to admire and .. AAAARGH - the tiny little grooves in the glass have sucked all the undercoat up about half centimeter.

So now I have glass with horrendous paint smudges all around the edges. I managed to get it all off with copious amounts of white spirit.

What am I doing wrong ???

Help !

Cheers

Che

Reply to
blue

Glass in arse about face? I'm assuming that the putty and grooved side of glass is outside, not a good idea IMHO. The grooves will soon fill with muck and algae on the outside, if they aren't full of undercoat that is... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Don't know if this would work but watercolour artists use a latex masking fluid that peels off paper. That or Copydex applied round the edges would fill the grooves and peel off after painting. The safety data sheet

only declares small amounts of ammonia and methanol in the it so I guess it won't be affected by oil based paints.

Peter k

Reply to
PeterK

sheet

declares small amounts of ammonia and methanol in the it so I guess it won't

Thank you, sir. Sounds like something to explore.

I had got around to thinking about masking the wood and the putty (it is the "inside" so is only a couple of m.m. ) and then rubbing a candle around the glass edge to fill the grooves. Hadn't thought about how to get the wax out afterwards yet...

Cheers

Che

Reply to
blue