Repair Glass Window with existing Grid ?

I have a 45 x 28 inch window that the seal is broken. It is a double pain glass in a wooden frame that has a grid which divides the window up into 6 sections. Would like to use the same frame and grid so it matches other windows. Can this be done? I had one glass guy look at it and he said it could get a close match to the grid used but not identical. Thus he was going to just purchase a dual pane window with a new grid. Where would I find someone who could use the existing grid so the window will look the same as others on the house. Will glass manufactures do this type of work?

Any ideas, thanks.

Reply to
Albert

Are you saying the grid is located between two PANES of glass? And, are you saying that they were a sealed unit under vacuum or filled with an inert gas and that now the seal is broken so that the glass is cloudy in the formerly sealed area between the two panes? You can try your local yellow pages and may be lucky to find someone who can reuse your grid and make up a new sealed unit. Or, you may have to send the grid to a more distant location to have it incorporated into a new sealed unit. All depends on where you are located. I had a local glass company get me some custom-sized sealed units to go into some existing windows that I did not want to replace. It took a couple of weeks because they sent the work out, but they did a good job and the new units have not lost their seal in 10 years. Incorporating your existing grid in a new custom window won't be cheap.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Doesn't have to be any more expensive than a new window with a new grid. Some window manufacturers will do it, others won't - when I worked for a window company a few years back we had a supplier that would even put old stained glass into sealed units at a very reasonable cost.

Reply to
clare