Masking the edge of patterned ('privacy') glass for painting

Hi. We have one of those doors with lots of small glass panels. The pieces of glass have a raised/bumpy pattern for 'privacy'.

I want to paint around the panels, and do a neat job. I tried masking tape but the glass surface is too bumpy so paint goes under theedge of the tape as the surface is so bumpy.

Any suggestions for getting a neat edge with this kind of glass?

Cheers

Reply to
Steve

The best that I have managed is to mask with tape as normal, then to use a stiff brush (eg an old-school scrubbing brush) to force the tape into place as much as possible. Paint, then (carefully) remove the tape immediately to reduce capillary creep. If there is still paint incursion, wait until it is dry, then mask the frame with a bit of strong card or plastic etc, then scrub the glass with afore-mentioned brush to remove excess.

Bramble

Reply to
Bramblestick

classic way in modelling is to mask, then spray clear, then spray colour. The rip off tears the clear layer..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I cant make sense of that.

I'd just do it without masking, it just takes longer. You wont get masking to tape to stick properly to a deeply ridged surface, so a lot of patterned glasses cant be taped effectively.

NT

Reply to
NT

Horribly expensive and a fiddle to get on the glass while not getting it on the bit to be painted:-

've used it to good effect on models before now.

It's probably easier to use a small brush and have a cloth soaked in thinners handy while you're painting the wood. Professionals call it cutting in.

Reply to
John Williamson

>> I've used it to good effect on models before now.

Having recently moved house Ive done a fair bit of painting the last few months, I also have a few glass panels that are dimpled, try as I may I couldnt get a proper masking job and eventually just took my time and done it freehand with no tape, I found that just doing a panel at a time so you dont start to rush it, because I had walls etc to paint I done just 1 panel per day and after I had done say an hours painting on walls or skirting, that way my hand was `tuned in` ie not shaky.

Reply to
ss

Mask the surrounding wood/putty, paint some sort or rubbery peel-off substance onto the glass, cut around the edge with a razor blade, remove the masking tape, paint, then peel the rubbery layer off? Not something I've tried, but just an idea I've thought of.

SteveW

Steve Walker

If you buy piddling little Humbrol jars, yes.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q