OT: Toasters

Hi All,

We are on the lookout for a new toaster.

The cheap (from memory) Swan 4 slice jobby we have has given varied results since we have had it and now isn't auto ejecting so makes it a bit dangerous, fire etc.

Today we took Mum to Makro (her card ) and saw quite a range but nothing much in the layout we wanted, double length slots x 2 (4 slice) with controls at the end.

Then we looked at the std 4 slice Dualit and although I believe it has a good pedigree all be it not in layout we preferred, and pretty expensive!

I have since found they do a 'lite' version that's suitable and it's a fair bit cheaper (~£65) but not sure if it's actually the same spec as their catering models or just an ordinary toaster with an expensive badge?

So, toaster advice / experiences from the panel please?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

My "Cookworks" one has always served me well, cool wall (always handy) and one of those high rise jobs so you can hoof it up to whip yer crumpets out.

Reply to
Lino expert

How evenly do these toasters toast? We have a Russell Hobbs toaster that looks good but that's about it really, it has various disadvantages:-

It can't toast anything larger than a smallish slice of a 'sandwich loaf', give it anything remotely large or roundish and it hasn't a hope.

It can't toast evenly, even for small slices the bottom edge is often close to burnt when the top edge is only faintly brown.

It can't toast repeatably, if the first slice is OK(ish) or underdone then next will be burnt to a frazzle.

Can anyone recommend a toaster that can cope with large slices and toasts evenly?

Reply to
tinnews

Well satisfied with the Tefal (type 5324).

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

The Cookworks one is definitely even, but the slots aren't ultra-wide so doorsteps get rather filed down.

Reply to
Lino expert

Whichever one you choose make sure that the bread you normally use fits it . Take a cardboard cutout of a slice and try it to see.

Reply to
Stuart B

T i m coughed up some electrons that declared:

No! (and yes to the pretty expensive part)...

I knew of their reputation in the catering business, so I thought I'd be on safe ground, so I got one (4 slice model) a couple of years back.

Admittedly, it was good at making toast - pretty consistent.

However, why I'm recommending "no" above is due to the inability to perform a minor repair:

A couple on months ago, the centre element failed - just a couple of breaks in the nichrome ribbon down the bottom. Probably got a lump of bread on it or something and caused localised overheating or something.

So I contacted various suppliers for a spare element. Not available they replied.

Given that the break was at the bottom and there are about 10 turns of ribbon around the insulator board, I decided to take it to bits with the aim of re-riveting the connection to the 9th turn - slight over-power but worth a shot.

First I had to dremel slots in the security screws underneath as none of the

30-odd security bits in our kit at work fitted - it's sort of like an inverse torx head - a rounded protusion with 6 dimples - never seen one before.

Anyway, got them out. The basic problem that then remained was that all the wires bar the CPC had been crimped directly onto the element lugs.

My conclusion was that I could repair it, but it would take me about a day to do it and I would need to make several repair joins in wire running at elevated temperatures. I don't have suitable crimps to hand and solder won't cut the mustard, so in the end, I gave it up as a bad job.[1]

Very disappointing. The control circuit was a basic timer made from 3 CMOS

4xxx logic chips and a couple of transistors, nothing that fancy (no clever closed loop control). The construction was solid enough, but it gauls me to have to chuck a 60 quid lump of metal for the sake of a couples of quids worth of heater wire. [1] conversely, a few days before, I stripped our Bosch dishwasher's door, removed and cleaned the rinse-aid tank (someone put powder in while the little filler door was open) and re-assembled it in less than 3 hours, and most of that was sluicing the tank under the tap to shift the damp trapped powder. Saved a few quid over a new unit. *That* was a device designed with repair in mind. Funny that we used to refer to "gerry-built" with such disdain (oh the irony).

I would say, if you want expensive, get a proper Dualit (for which spare parts are easily available), otherwise, get a cheap random model so that when it dies you'll be less upset.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

We bought a Dualit because our sons tend to leave the toaster on, and I've known of sevral occurrences where jammed toasters have caused fires. I know it didn't *have* to be a Dualit, but there I was in Costco...

The user manual even contains instructions on changing elements...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I was tempted to go for the Dualit 2-slice machine. However, I emailed Dualit with a query (on available finishes) - they totally ignored the email until I phoned them a week or two later, and weren't apologetic at all.

So I'm not convinced about their service...

(What I was after was a brushed steel rather than polished finish; they don't do one like that.)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Thanks for that and Googling about it looks like there is currently a white one for about 6 quid and a flash one for about £15?

Which one do you have and how consistent is it please?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think that could be the 1M$ question Chris.

Is that a dual slot 4 slicer Chris as I have found the same with ours. I was thinking the toasters with one_slot_per_slice might have bigger slot bit it would only cope with that maximum size. At least with the dual slots you can also toast 2 weird shaped slices (like from one of the more free form loaves you can get).

Hmm, ours has always been fairly even, just not consistent.

Well that way round at least makes sense (thermo mechanically at least). Ours seems to work the other way round! Now for slices from the same loaf you would imagine it all being fairly repeatable?

Well, ours did .. now it would just incinerate everything as it's stopped popping up (may well be fixable but with all the other issues not worth it).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Thanks for the feedback Rob.

Is that the angled top loader, 4 individual slice jobby?

Thinking about the comment re overlarge / weird slices, we have always been able to do said in ours allbeit only at 2 slices at a time.

Hmm ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

In article , Tim Southerwood writes

Concur:-)

Ours is about 15 (years). One day I will remember that the second toasting takes less time than the first.

Crumpets and hot cross buns and one sided toast are all doable.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Good idea.

I'm not sure we have a 'normal' loaf as such but I guess the test would be both whatever is the largest of our range and/or the more obscure sizes / shapes you get from some of these more hand made loaves you often get in the 7/11's.

You wouldn't think it would be so difficult eh.

Like with our recently repaired tumble dryer .. I could have bought "a" tumble dryer for 99 pounds but to get the features we had on our existing one we were nearer 300 pounds. Also, compared with her sisters newish dryer ours just worked better?

Re the toaster, I'm trying to get one that has the flexibility of our existing one but with more repeatability at least (I'm not sure any toaster could predict exactly how to make N different slices just as we like them).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ok .. ;-)

Well exactly. It's funny, I though I would just 'go out and buy a new toaster' but as always it seems that if you really want it to do what it says on the box (rather than maybe just look pretty or be a brand you like) it's not so easy ... :-(

Indeed. I guess with the more basic / cheaper toasters they are designed to be consumables and as you have found (to your cost), even the more expensive models can follow that pattern.

Well, I rarely buy 'expensive' being more of a vfm man but if in this case it seems that putting us up into the 'catering' grade of machine also allows it to be serviceable, at least you can protect your investment to some degree.

Ok, you might find that a new element for a Dualit could (would) be more than a new cheap toaster but that's not so relevant IF the cheap toaster doesn't have the consistency of the more expensive one?

All the best and thanks for the feedback Tim ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

And that's we are with our current one. It's funny how you (one) assume that these things will just work. I put a couple of slices in the other day and was going to just_pop_upstairs but then remembered it had stopped auto ejecting and if I was distracted (phone rings etc) .... :-(

May I ask what you paid for it Bob. In Makro the 4 slice jobby was £107+Vat from memory ...

That's what we (d_i_y ers) want to see eh! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

We got given a Dualit some years ago, and although a collosal amount of money for a toaster, I'd buy one with my own money. Indeed, we just bought a Dualit coffee percolator and I'm chuffed with that, too.

Reply to
Huge

That doesn't give one a good feeling does it? It doesn't seem uncommon when a company has a product that sells itself ..?

I think the one on display in Makro had a white body and bright metal ends ..

but looking at that maybe the middles stay satin metal and it's the ends that get coloured?

I spotted this on their page...

"The Vario toaster is also kind on the environment- all parts are repairable or replaceable- you don?t throw a Vario toaster away, we'll fix it for you!"

"We'll fix it for you"? Does that mean you have to send it back or can you get them to send you are spares (I'll drop them an email and let you know, assuming I ever get a reply etc).

Also, I notice they also do the combi sandwich models ... handy for a quick snack or just another way to fill the toaster up with cheese etc? :-(

.. Choices choices .....

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. At least I know I'll be able to produce 130 slices / hour!

Reply to
T i m

Hmm, more flexible then. Can you use the sandwich rack thing in the std (non 'combi') model do you know please Tim?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

We're well pleased with this one (got ours on ebay but not from this trader). Had it about 2 years and it's been brilliant.

or, if you prefer:

John