OT: Toasters

The former.
They're commonplace in hotels with buffet breakfasts, so I've operated one myself on numerous occasions.

Ah thanks. So in our instance it *was* operator error.
All the best ..
T i m

Like Huge, I've met them at hotel breakfasts. I found that mine gave one which was too lightly done. A second full pass took it too far. But chucking it in to give a half pass worked about right. Don't think I'd want to play that game at home :-)
(I've seen nasty fast food pizza joints have a rather larger equivalent - reckon in that environment it makes a lot of sense).
I remember having access to a catering-style toaster when I was a teenager. Lots of people getting toast as fast as possible - bit of a scrum. The catering one couldn't take that - kept dying, and not apparently through any significant abuse. At one point at home we had a russell-hobbs toaster which had a knackered pop-up. So I brought that in to alleviate the load - and it worked really well. Since we'd all had practice at getting toast out via a knife shoved in the middle (good way of jumping the queue, esp. if you're tall and can just lean over everybody) the lack of popup wasn't a problem.
(of course these days bringing in knackered electrical equipment to such an environment is probably out :-( )
cheers, clive
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:51:38 -0000, "Clive George"

No, that sounds like a bit of a kerfuffle ..

Indeed, and probably run slower?

So did I .. we called her 'Mum' (and she still works pretty well as a toast maker) ;-)

Imagine if you were trying to make a living with one? :-(

Often the case .. probably because back_in_the_day they were made better and although one bit might fail the rest is will last for ever?

LOL

They are all spoiled these days .. ;-)
All the best ..
T i m

They have a knob that controls the belt speed. The slower the belt, the more cooked the toast is. The problem is that they are quite slow, a queue forms and people CBA to stand there waiting for their toast. There was a much better arrangement in a hotel in Veranasi where we were a few weeks ago - serried ranks of domestic toasters and a little man making toast!

Ok ..

lol
I made the mistake of asking for a special offer coffee in Gregs the other day, not realising their machine dispensed it at the rate of 2ml/hour.
It's one of those situations where once you realise it's going to take a time it's too late to say 'forget it' and then the queue behind starts to build. :-(
Like when the checkout barfs at a barcode ... or the person in front pulls out a credit card to pay for a Mars bar then can't remember their PIN .. :-(
All the best ..
T i m

No question about it -- a Dualit element IS more expensive than a cheap toaster -- and of course there are two different varieties in each toaster (centre and end). However the newer ones have a very much greater life, having the heater ribbon covered with mica so that crumbs etc. don't get stuck in there and cause overheating.

I was tempted to go for the Dualit 2-slice machine. However, I emailed Dualit with a query (on available finishes) - they totally ignored the email until I phoned them a week or two later, and weren't apologetic at all.
So I'm not convinced about their service...
(What I was after was a brushed steel rather than polished finish; they don't do one like that.)
--
Frank Erskine

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 23:15:45 +0000, Frank Erskine

Hmm ..

That doesn't give one a good feeling does it? It doesn't seem uncommon when a company has a product that sells itself ..?

I think the one on display in Makro had a white body and bright metal ends ..
http://www.dualit.com/catalogue/product.asp?productCodeKRV
http://tinyurl.com/yrfmhh
.. but looking at that maybe the middles stay satin metal and it's the ends that get coloured?
I spotted this on their page...
"The Vario toaster is also kind on the environment- all parts are repairable or replaceable- you dont throw a Vario toaster away, we'll fix it for you!"
"We'll fix it for you"? Does that mean you have to send it back or can you get them to send you are spares (I'll drop them an email and let you know, assuming I ever get a reply etc).
Also, I notice they also do the combi sandwich models ... handy for a quick snack or just another way to fill the toaster up with cheese etc? :-(
<sigh> .. Choices choices .....
All the best ..
T i m
p.s. At least I know I'll be able to produce 130 slices / hour!

We have a Dualit (proper one, no the cheapy 'lite' ones), it was wedding present and now in it's 11th year.
Dunno about direct, but spare seem easy to get from various places. Not that there are many things to go wrong. I replaced the timer on our Dualit last year as it got a bit erratic, sometimes sticking and then the toast burning. Ok a new timer was more than cheap toaster, but then end result wouldn't have been better - and more waste.
--
Chris French

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:54:22 +0000, chris French

Ah, good to know (single parts source not reassuring etc).

And that is important isn't it (how well it works on the whole).

Another feature so often overlooked.
I was looking at all this clean, perfect plastic and steel whilst repairing my tumble dryer recently, and would have found it hard 'just chucking it out'.
All the best ..
T i m
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 23:15:45 +0000, Frank Erskine

I don't email my toaster.... I know that's not what you meant, but email all the other toaster companies and compare their responses if this is important to you. I think a lot of companies don't have a clue how to handle email properly as they're set up to deal with customers on the phone.

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk

I'm not quite sure I would apply the logic across the board like that though Mogga. Like I wouldn't expect a supplier of a five pound toaster to entertain any correspondence on the potential supply of replacement parts?

That's possibly true, I intended seeing how Dualit got on with an eMail (sent) and if that didn't work then I'd give them a ring (asking the same question).

Thanks for the freedelivery link .. I'll look into that ..
All the best ..
T i m

So I wonder why they advertise their email address on their website. (Actually it's a response frame).
It can't do their image an awful lot of good :-(
--
Frank Erskine

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:03:49 +0000, Frank Erskine

I agree .Over time I have e-mailed several companies about different matters and got no response and ended up phoning them anyway .
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:03:49 UTC, Frank Erskine

I emailed them about a kettle once, and got a prompt reply.
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 23:15:45 +0000, Frank Erskine

Hi Frank,
I just received a nice reply to the general spares question I posted to Dualit on Wed (was it?) saying elements were available to the end user and ~5 each.
So maybe they have sorted their eAct out now?
All the best ..
T i m

Hmm - perhaps. Thanks.
(Presumably other spares are available too.)
--
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:40:50 +0000, Frank Erskine

Np
Well I assume so. I just asked about elements and we know Chris F has changed a timer (and parts are available from others).
All the best ..
T i m

We're well pleased with this one (got ours on ebay but not from this trader). Had it about 2 years and it's been brilliant.
http://tinyurl.com/3aspu3 or, if you prefer:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tefal-5328-Avanti-4-Slice-Deluxe-Toaster-50RRP_W0QQitemZ290193091240QQihZ019QQcategoryZ20682QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
John