OT: Toasters

We stayed in a Holiday Inn Express (Exeter I think). Kind of place where breakfast is minimal and self service. Several Dualit 4 slice versions, and I recall, and packs of sliced bread, for self-service toast.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You're ignoring design life.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Me. Freecycle is a good source.

A Dell E172FPb? I have one here waiting for me to do the same. You can replace the board or just the duff transistors but it reportedly goes again after a while. I'm going the longer (but still £25ish) route of replacing the whole inverter circuit with a generic one from sparesweb.

Reply to
PCPaul

How odd, HI Express across the UK generally seem to use belt drive Lincats. Not that I eat enough toast to make it worth paying £700 for a toaster.

Reply to
Steve Firth

All appliances know when they are being talked about. The last time we talked about coffee machines the steam spout on my Saeco coffee machine went brittle and fell apart. When I asked for spares in an Italian shop they shrugged. I pointed out that I bought the machine from them and still had the receipts and the salesman went to the display removed the spout from a display machine and gave it to me. I was pleasantly surprised but not exactly encouraged by this, it doesn't bode well if I need spares in the future.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And what's worse; they talk to each other. Especially cars - they conspire so as no matter how many you own, they all go faulty at the same time.

Reply to
Huge

There used to be a number of groups doing this sort of thing. The repaired appliances were made available through Social Services and directly to homes in need who couldn't afford to replace appliances. I did help out with one when I had some free time. As far as I know, they all had to close as a series of new regulations have come into effect about waste disposal. Inherent in such an activity is generation of large amounts of waste which is very expensive to get rid of -- if you're lucky, you make a working washing machine for every two you pick up, and the other one now has to be disposed of at commercial rates. (I think the figures may have been much worse than that, as some of the appliances picked up were in too bad a state to be worth even bringing into the workshop for repair or parts.) Although such schemes actually reduce the amount of rubbish generated, the waste disposal regulations have never recognised this and just see an organisation which needs to be punished for continuously chucking out large white goods every week.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Agreed

No, this was one of those 'unknown' brands ..

Well, time will tell with any of this stuff I guess ..

Fingers crossed for you Paul ;-)

I must admit that when my mate fitted the replacement inverter board (after I'd shown him how to get the screen apart, guesstimated the likely cause and sourced a replacement) then found it all worked I was happy surprised and happily smug (while it lasts etc).

Nothing ventured ....

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I bet you would try though, like that TV advert for Cathedral City and the cheese on toast, you see someone eating some and the desire becomes too strong ... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

And the frightening thing about that is that it's not far off the truth these days? Isn't it BMW's (at least) that can access the FSH of the and / or from the vehicle?

How long before cars start telling tales about our driving habits (other than the 'Max Speed' etc!) ..?

Aren't their fridges now with bar code readers that can order top up stock online themselves?

A mate was involved with one of the fizzy drink suppliers and I believe the delivery guys can text the machines they are about to replenish and get a list of stock required back from each vending machine before setting off with their sack barrow.

And they still can't make a real automatic toaster that works! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I'm not sure I'm with you there Bob?

Are you talking 'built in obsolescence here?

The issue there is we have probably all got some very cheap and non serviceable machines that are still running after many years, long after we would have assumed they would have melted into a plastic and copper wire heap.

I bet we have also got some very expensive and potentially long-life products that are sitting (dead) at the back of the draw / garage?

If it's more to do with how long something stays fashionable then I'm not sure that applies to something like a toaster or tumble dryer?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

If only Miele made toasters - that would ensure lots of responses.

Reply to
John

How come my kids often got watery cola?

Reply to
John

I think ants must drain some out the cans John ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Let's hope Dyson don't ;-)

It's interesting to see how many who care about such things as it is.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Or even simply soda water... Not just kids either!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I almost took the plunge today to procure a Dualit Vario 2-slice machine (in my non-preferred 'polished' finish). One thing that wasn't very obvious looking at one on display in the shop was the method of holding the bread upright in the fairly wide slot. The PDF info says that it has 'wire guards to adjust to the thickness of bread', but it _appears_ that a slice of bread will just dangle anywhere in the inch or so wide slot.

Speaking of Mièle, I'm looking for a new fridge/freezer and it seems that the only stainless steel ones are made by Mièle or Siemens. Others have s/s doors but what appear to be simply greyish-painted sides - probably ordinary mild steel. I'd like a Bosch to match up with the hob and cooker, but all they do is a 'silver' finish :-(

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Frank Erskine wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

We couldn't afford a Dualit, so bought a cheapo lookalike from Asda.

As you press the lever, the wire 'guards' move inwards and grip the bread or whatever, holding it central and upright.

I suspect the Dualit may have a similar mechanism - did you have a 'play' with it?

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

This all sounds very familiar - I've had mine since the early 70s and it has needed similar nursing from time to time. It's an earlier model than the one on the web page you found, a TA/1B - discontinued in 1950 according to M-R. There's a picture here

although I suspect the date on that page is wrong.

Snap! - except that the hot spot is mid-wire, on the face side of the element and not near any previous repair. The mica sheets are getting pretty fragile now too and I suspect the next repair might involve making a new set of elements, if I can get hold of some appropriately sized nichrome strip, and whatever the modern equivalent of mica sheet is.

It must have been arcing, I guess. I've not had any problems with those, but occasionally the small contacts on the timer mechanism, that short out the heater to initiate the second stage of the timing sequence, will give trouble. (Contact resistance increases, heater isn't fully shorted out, 1st stage continues --> burnt toast.)

Indeed, and has two features you don't seem to get on any modern toaster, probably because they'd cause a design to fail the modern product safety standard. The first is the ability to lift the handle and inspect your toast without interrupting the timing and the second is the access flap in the bottom (vastly better than the little crumb drawer you get on a modern appliance).

Does the piston damper still work on your parents' one?

Reply to
Andy Wade

I did - and there wasn't anything obvious :-(

Reply to
Frank Erskine