OT: Toasters

Hmmm. The two do not correlate.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks for that John.

Have you had need to toast any of the less uniform shapes and sizes of bread and if so how well did it cope please (with the size rather than it's ability to toast per se)?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

It is isn't it. When you can buy a tumble dryer for less (potentially also containing a heater element, thermostat and many more moving parts)

At least that suggests that 'quality' is generic to the brand?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well, I was just trying to say that you can often get quality / reliability / good design without having to pay what might be considered 'excessive' prices for said?

Take Dualit, I'm not sure how they would justify their prices against sophisticated design, exotic materials or unique abilities (not now they have been around so long) so maybe they are just doing what any company would if it could and that's capitalize on it's position.

If there was another brand out there that did the same but was twice the price I wouldn't even consider it (not vfm in my terms)?

In a similar way that £120 for 'a toaster' [1] isn't vfm in comparison with many more mechanically complex (therefore expensive to build) devices out there.

All the best ..

T i m

[1] What I paid for the Rover 218SD 4 years ago, second hand I know but would I find a second hand fully working Dualit for 25 pence?
Reply to
T i m

I don't email my toaster.... I know that's not what you meant, but email all the other toaster companies and compare their responses if this is important to you. I think a lot of companies don't have a clue how to handle email properly as they're set up to deal with customers on the phone.

Reply to
mogga

We've got a big old Dualit from the days when my mum had a restaurant. The timer's clockwork, and the elements are replaceable. The eject is operated manually by a lever. The whole thing is properly made so you can repair it and I'll be snaffling it when I get my own place as opposed to a shared student house and I expect it'll outlast me. The main difference between a Dualit and a standard toaster is the simplicity - there's nothing to go wrong with no automatic eject and a clockwork timer.

Reply to
Doki

I'm not quite sure I would apply the logic across the board like that though Mogga. Like I wouldn't expect a supplier of a five pound toaster to entertain any correspondence on the potential supply of replacement parts?

That's possibly true, I intended seeing how Dualit got on with an eMail (sent) and if that didn't work then I'd give them a ring (asking the same question).

Thanks for the freedelivery link .. I'll look into that ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

So I wonder why they advertise their email address on their website. (Actually it's a response frame).

It can't do their image an awful lot of good :-(

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I hear (see?) what you say, but the reason we asked for the Dualit was after years of experience of crap domestic toasters that make rubbish toast, jammed or whatever, and expired 10 seconds after the warranty ran out. The Dualit has laboured on for > 10 years and is still going strong. (I noticed in a sandwish shop recently that they make belt-fed toasters, too.)

The same experience with coffee makers prompted me to buy the Dualit, which although we've only had it a few months, seems to have similar characteristics.

Reply to
Huge

Out of interest Doki, have you ever had to replace one?

;-)

How about the consistency? Once you have found a typical setting on yer timer, does that tend to be good for most (breads) for example?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Oh indeed Huge.

And that's the sort of feedback I was hoping for .. £10/year for a toaster isn't too bad AS LONG as it does all that could be reasonably expected of it (like a telephone answering machine must show the number of messages in digits (not morse code or just one flashing light and date/time stamp the messages as people often don't).

Yeah, and I can tell you they do work but only if operated properly [1] (as they use them in the Makro cafe).

And you get a good feeling and that helps you 'see' a better VFM, even if that item is considerably more expensive that it's counterparts.

Like with our Miele cat-n-dog cleaner.

All the best ..

T i m

[1] I'm not sure if the whole point of belt fed toasters is each slice makes the whole trip slowly through the system or if it simply holds it there for X time then passes it out the end? The young lady concerned 'pre fed' the belt with both slices and one slice particularly was very lightly done?
Reply to
T i m

No, it's a "two single slices" toaster.

I must admit our Russell Hobbs is worse than most on this front.

Reply to
tinnews

The white one, speaking of which I see they're on Amazon for an amazing =A31.99 or something ridiculous like that! It's definitely consistent, but as I say, the slots aren't ultra-wide just fairly standard.

Reply to
Lino expert

The former.

They're commonplace in hotels with buffet breakfasts, so I've operated one myself on numerous occasions.

Reply to
Huge

Ok, thanks.

I'm starting to believe this must be rocket science!

ie, How many other small household appliances would appear to be so vague? We have a Breville toasted sandwich maker and as long as you know what sort of time to give the process it matters little what sort of bread is in there? Same with the kettle .. it reaches boiling point (actual temperature being dependant on altitude etc ) and turns off. Not 20 degrees before or after .. and the same 365?

Ok, maybe 'toasting' is a finer art but I would at least expect a consistent browning (element design) and repeatability (timer / sensor functions) ....?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I agree .Over time I have e-mailed several companies about different matters and got no response and ended up phoning them anyway .

Reply to
Stuart B

Good grief .... ah, but that is 'pre loved. Still, I think I could stump up the £5.99 for a new one from Argos ;-)

Well, we could live with that because:

1) The majority of the time we use std medium sliced bread. 2) Being two slots for 4 slices the more weird shapes can be accepted. 3) It will fit in the same space as our current one and has the same layout. 4) We don't often have need to toast anything 'exotic' and still have the gas (real eye level) grill should we need to. 5) You said it's 'Cool wall' and I note from just looking at Amazon the Dualit commercial ones aren't? :-( 6) Argos are at the top of the road and I haven't had lunch yet (I've just reserved a 422/0185 online) ;-)

If it doesn't make the grade least it will buy me some time to consider properly if we can actually justify (much as I like the idea, new toys etc etc) a Dualit and if so which one to go for (ie, do we want toasted sarnies)?

All the best and thanks again ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Similar, perhaps slightly more. However, it came 'free' with two of the sandwich toasting things which are normally about 12 quid each. You know, folding cage with handles. Drops in the slot (nice wide slots). And you can do crumpets without them jamming...!

Repeatability...pretty good although the first batch of toast takes slightly longer since the thing is cold. Claims it can do (and I believe it) 132 slices an hour...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I emailed them about a kettle once, and got a prompt reply.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Grill and grillpan. Toasts anything. If it goes on fire it's all contained in the cooker.

Owain

Reply to
Owain